The Protector (Jackie Chan re-edited version)

Rare New Wave? Yes some New Wave Classics are rares too.
PoleFighter

The Protector (Jackie Chan re-edited version)

Postby PoleFighter » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:36 pm

Just wondering, is the version of \'The Protector\', available here on FLK, the Jackie Chan re-edited version by any chance?

Has anyone else seen this version? It\'s no classic by any means but far superior to the original version and a must have for Jackie fans!

Up until recently it was quite rare. It is available in France and Japan but without English subtitles.

I\'ve just finished adding English subtitles to the French DVD release!

PoleFighter

Postby PoleFighter » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:45 pm

There is an additional fight sequence with Wallace where he beats up a couple of guys on a dockside, and Jackie re-shot most of the end fight to make it faster and longer - more like the usual Hong Kong choreography fans expect, but the outcome of the fight is the same.

Jackie added another minor storyline involving the gorgeous Sally Yeh, there\'s an extra typical Jackie action/fight sequence in a gym, and all the unecessary nudity and swearing was removed.

Overall it\'s a better film and it doesn\'t make you cringe watching Jackie say the \'F\' word and act like he\'s Dirty Harry!

PoleFighter

Postby PoleFighter » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:30 pm

[Quote=rdenn]apparenlty the director didnt even know jackie did the extra fights.[/Quote]

That\'s right, I think when Jackie made the movie he wasn\'t allowed any creative input at all, he also wasn\'t happy with the excessive nudity and profanity. When he took the movie back to Hong Kong he was concerned that the film would lose him fans so he re-edited the film, even calling back Wallace and a few others to film additional material.

RTF600

Postby RTF600 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:41 am

I believe the problems on the film led Jackie to direct Police Story, kind of as a response.

Return to “Rare New Wave”