hong kong godfather

For disscussion about gun play movies of all the eras.
jocky

hong kong godfather

Postby jocky » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:51 pm

just picked up hong kong godfather
with beardy not andy lau different movie looks good too
any info because i cant find much on it
says on imdb its a good movie8 out of 10
will watch tommorrow
regards jocky

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:13 pm

If it's the Shaw Bros movie from '85 that you're talking about, then you're in for an absolute treat. Best new wave film ever IMHO.

I've never seen the film with the same title from '91.

jocky

Postby jocky » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:19 am

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089293/

jocky

Postby jocky » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:20 am

Hong Kong Godfather (1985)

Reviewed by: Frank Lakatos
Date: 09/28/2005

Hong Kong Godfather(1985) aka Heroes of Tsim Shat Tsui. This movie has to be seen to be believed. This is one of the greatest triad movies of all time, even topping the Long Arm of the Law series or anything a Woo or Lam could have done. Forget about the impossible gun wars that could never happen in Hong Kong, this movie is aboput the chopper, the true way of the triad. The movie is very western like, and there are no awkward moments at all, the cast in incredible and consists of real men(NOT the pop singers and 20 year old steroid fluffies seen in today's triad movies), the action if first class, and the story is remarkable. This scene where Shek Kien and his family are massacred and the the unbelievable finale expose the veiwer to incredible violence and revenge. The music to the action is perfect. The final showdown blows Jackie Chan's Police Story(1985) away in every aspect. The incredible range of emotion from the leads in their prime Leung Kar Yan, Tsui Siu Keung, and ect show is astonishing. Wang Lung wei and unrecognizably western Pomson Shi star as the Eurasian hitmen (they don't even look Chinese!). The stock Shaw scores are chosen and placed perfectly. A masterpiece and the Shaw Brothers last full fleged movie. Only this combination of talent could have been used for this movie and the movie could have been only made in 1985 in order to make it what it is. Wang Lung Wei spent the remainder of his directing career trying to recapture the magic that made this movie what it is, including a cheap remake titled Bloody Brotherhood, staring an out of place Andy Lau and underused Lam Wai to no avail. Wherever Wang Lung Wei went, he tried to bring elements of Hong Kong Godfather into his production. It is a crime that Celestial has ignored remastering and rereleasing this movie. Remastered or not, it's one of the best Hong kong movies, triad or not, ever made. Many Gweilos were used in this movie, which is beyond the norm for Shaw movies, including Paulo Tocha, Wayne Archer. The best and most underated Hong Kong movie ever made. The movie is still unknown as of this time, as the movie's influence still awaits the Hong Kong movie industry. When you finish watching this movie, you'll never look at Hong Kong movies the same again. **************/*****

jocky

Postby jocky » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:21 am

i found this on hkdb from frank
whoopeee going to enjoy this tonight with a few tinnies
regards jocky

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Sun May 10, 2009 8:32 am

To be honest Joshua Kane, I feel the same way that you do about cut films and I usually stay away from a film that I know is cut until an uncut version surfaces.
However, there are occasions where exceptions have to be made and this is definitely one of them!
To me, it's the ultimate triad movie and also one of the darkest Shaw Brothers offerings.
I've only got the common version that everyone else has but you can notice at least 3 blatant cuts towards the end when they storm the office block.

The pile of junk that PanMedia recently released claimed to be "uncut" too but s in fact confirmed as being a censored print. So we won't know unless we download this version from the German site...which is what I'm in the process of doing right now. Once done, I'll go straight to the end fight and have a little look.

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Sun May 10, 2009 11:45 am

Just downloaded and checked that version for you Joshua, it's the same cut version that's been circulating for years.

First noticeable cut is at exactly 1:25:00 when the guard gets a machete to the face. Then as they work their way up the staircase, you'll notice a few more abrupt cuts.

I'm just praying Kam & Ronson have this in their upcoming Shaws release schedule.

Return to “Heroic Gunshed Discussion”