Any french cinema fans......

For all the fans into Spaghetti Westerns, Itallian Crime, Black Exploitation and Horror
chopsocky

Any french cinema fans......

Postby chopsocky » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:20 pm

I really have a thing for french movies, specially the new wave stuff of the 60's and early 70's.
Melvillie and Goddard movies rank as some of my favourites.
Le Samourai is a complete classic and i would rank it alot higher than the killer which takes alot from this flick, to top it stars the super cool Alain Delon.

Band of Outsiders (bande a part) is my favourite Goddard flick, again a complete joy to watch and ozing with cool cinema vibes.

Another classic Melvillie flick is Bob le Flameur.

Riffi is a flick i only just purchased recently and is solid. Fantastic art direction which is the thing the french really can't be beaten for.

Topkapi is by the same director, Jules Dassin and is a film that would not usually appeal to me but after watching i really enjoyed, Melina Mercouri is Beautiful as the lead in looks and acting ability.

The Big Heat, directed by Fritz Lang. And this is the coolest film Noir i have ever seen, if you only intend to watch one flick form this list, beleive me this is the one.

Any other fans on this forum. If you are im really interested in what flicks you enjoy and if not i hope you check some of the flicks out i've said cause beleive me there solid.

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:07 pm

Nice to hear you're digging French crime too Chopsocky.

My recommendations would be the following:

*Angel's Leap. 1971. Yves Boisset
*Rififi. 1955. Jules Dassin
*The Prize Of Peril.1983. Yves Boisset (The film that Hollywood later re-made into 'Running Man')
*Tony Arzenta/Big Guns. 1973. Duccio Tessari (One of the very best Alain Delon flicks ever - steer clear of the cut Japanese print)
*Le Professionel. 1981. Georges Lautner (Classic Jean Paul Belmondo)
*Peur Sur La Ville. 1975. Henry Verneuil (Nasty cop thriller starring Jean Paul Belmondo - classic)
*Nada. 1974. Claude Chabrol (Political Action thriller)
*The Burglars. 1971. Henry Verneuil (Superb cast of Omar Shariff & Jean Paul Belmondo)
*Le Cercle Rouge. 1970. Jean-Pierre Melville (Heist classic w/ Alain Delon)
*La Balance. 1982. Bob Swaim
*L’Insolent. 1973. Jean-Claude Roy (Henry Silva in a French Production)
*Judge Fayard Called The Sheriff. 1977. Yves Boisset

There are many more that I have missed out but they are the French crime flicks that I'd recommend off the top of my head.

chopsocky

Postby chopsocky » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:16 pm

Le Cercle Rouge is another classic.

and big guns is another flick i really liked.

Aka Tek

Postby Aka Tek » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:48 am

A Bandé Apart and Vivre sa vie is movies I though was very good. The spontaneous dancing in those two Godard movies are noticable. The café scene where the three characters decide to dance some is memorable. Also the clothes the actors use in those movies are classy, I almost considered starting to use a hat and suit after watching A Bandé Apart.

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:02 am

Yes this is good news as more and more people are seeking to find alternative cinema to whats currently being offered in the mainstream.
It would be great to see it go back to a European dominated market. Even my little 16 yr old brother is starting to diversify the stuff that he watches (Argento, Scorsese , De Palma etc) - a lot of kids are getting sick of all the Hollywood nonsense and would rather see some classics instead. It's all a matter of taste of course but Hollywood re-makes just aint cutting it no more.

chopsocky

Postby chopsocky » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:17 pm

Its a shame that england only seems to be able to release rom coms and gangster flicks these days.

There has been a positive boost in cinema over the last few years though. it does seem that people are turning away form hollywood. They blame piracey but really they should be looking at what they are putting out themselves.

KeungKau

Postby KeungKau » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:51 am

If you like french cinema you should check out a 1982 Gangster film La Balance.

My dad also used to recommend a crime movie called rififfi from 1955 but I havent got round to watching it.

KeungKau

Postby KeungKau » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:52 am

Sorry just realised PollyPolly mentioned those two

pollypolly

Re:

Postby pollypolly » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:31 pm

[Quote=KeungKau]Sorry just realised PollyPolly mentioned those two[/Quote]

No problem KeungKau, my post was way back in 2006, always good to revive old threads now and again.

I'll add a few more of my favorites which are mostly in the crime genre:
Trans-Europ-Express, L'Agression, Un Condé, Sans Sommation, The Sicilian Clan, Le Temps Des loups & Cran Dâ??Arret

Return to “Spaghetti Western and Black Exploitation”