The Unanswered Questions About Bruce Exploitation Movies

HK Classics talk. Shaw Brothers, Golden Harvest and independent Classics. Share your views.
lauslee

Postby lauslee » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:34 am

Few days ago someone made thread about infamous Bruceploitation movie "Father of Jeek Kune Do". After that I have noticed that there are quite much unknown things about those movies that people would like to know. So since we have few very informed people when it is word about these movies, this thread is decided to anyone who wants to know something about Bruceploitation movies that he never got chance to ask somewhere else.

*Also share lobby's, your opinions on best and worst actor/s, movies and everything else that is by any chance connected with Bruceploitation movies.

samtheseed

Postby samtheseed » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:16 pm

Bruce Li is by far the most popular and well known of the Bruce Lee imitators. Bruce Li was born Ho Chung Tao in Taiwan in 1950. Growing up, he was an avid fan of the marital arts, both in physical practice and reading. During his formative years he studied Judo, Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Wing Chun, Boxing and Shaolin Bak Hok. In 1970, while enrolled in Physical Education College, Ho entered the Taiwan Movie Association's actor training school. Ho then began his career in the motion picture industry as a stuntman/extra in a number of low budget martial arts films.

It wasn't until Bruce Lee's untimely death that Ho's career as a leading actor began. Noting his resemblance to the recently deceased actor, a friend recommended Ho to a producer. The physical similarity struck a chord with the producers desperate to exploit Bruce Lee likeness and Ho was immediately cast in a leading role for his next film. In Taiwan, Ho starred in several productions as Bruce Lee, usually billed under the name Li Hsiao Lung (Lee Little Dragon).

Hoping to shed the Bruce Lee image, Ho moved to Hong Kong. Alas, that did not work as Jimmy Shaw christened him with the equally exploitive moniker Bruce Li, a name that would bring him fame the world over. Li proved to be very popular and, as his clout grew within the Hong Kong film industry, he started making projects that had nothing to do with Bruce Lee. Ho even directed two of his features, FISTS OF BRUCE LEE and the revered THE CHINESE STUNTMAN.

Ho eventually retired from the movie industry in 1985 following the death of his wife. He currently lives in Singapore, teaching students gymnastics and the ins and outs of film production. That is no lie.

One thing I've always wondered is exactly how do you pronounce "Li"? I've always pronounced it as "lie" which really seems to fit, if you know what I mean. If that's the case then shouldn't it also be pronounced Jet "Lie", but as we all know its Jet "Lee". I guess it's open to interpretation. Asking Bruce Li, the man himself, would probably be a waste of time as he never even wanted the name in the first place. Well, I declare (unofficially) that this dumbo will pronounce it as Bruce "Lie".
Bruce Li Selected Filmography
Bruce Lee, A Dragon Story aka Super Dragon (1974)
Goodbye Bruce Lee: His Last Game of Death (1975)
Iron Man (1975)
Bruce Lee Against Supermen (1975)
The Young Bruce Lee (1976)
Bruce Against Iron Hand
The Real Bruce Lee (1977)
The Dragon Lives (1977)
Enter the Panther (1976)
Story of the Dragon (1976)
Chinese Connection 2 (1976)
Exit the Dragon, Enter the Tiger (1976)
The Ming Patriots (1977)
Bruce Li in New Guinea (1977)
Bruce Lee the Invincible (1977)
Soul Brothers of Kung Fu (1977?)
Bruce Lee, We Miss You (1977)
Bruce Lee Vs. The Iron Dragon (1978)
Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth (1978)
Image of Bruce Lee (1978)
Bruce Li's Magnum Fist (1978)
Dynamo (1978)
Deadly Strike (1978)
Edge of Fury (1978)
Fists of Bruce Lee (1978)
Blind Fist of Bruce (1979)
The Three Avengers (1979)
Return of the Tiger (1979)
Fist of Fury 3 (1980)
The Iron Dragon Strikes Back (1981)
The Chinese Stuntman (1981)
Powerforce (1982)

lauslee

Postby lauslee » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:16 pm

[img]http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt296/lauslee/hochungtao.jpg[/img]

[b]Ho Chung Tao interview[/b]

[b]- When and where were you born? [/b]
- I was born in the Taiwanese countryside in 1950

[b]- What was your life like before the movie years?[/b]
- Well, approximately half way trough high school, I was immersed in ancient martial art novels. I was also keen watcher of the old Knight Errant fighting films. In addition the great 007s and especially Our Man Flint with James Coburn. I admired Coburn for his cool, calm and collected presence.

[b]- What was your first experience with martial arts? [/b]
- While still at school I had an opportunity to try out many different systems of martial arts, I took part in Judo, Tae Kwan Do, Western Boxing and some Shaolin Bak Hok (White Crane). This fever knowledge further led me to study Wing Chun and Karate. Looking back on those days, all the arts were great learning experience.

[b]- How did you get into the movie business? [/b]
- In the 1970 I entered physical education college, majoring in gymnastics, and at the same time I enrolled in Taiwan Movie Association training school. Here I had my first introduction into the various aspects of filmmaking. It was my acting coach, Joseph Kwok who provided my first steps into the movie business.

[b]- Did you get good roles straight away?[/b]
- In the beginning I had to prove myself as a capable stuntman/actor. You couldnâ??t turn a part down as there would always be somebody prepared to take your place. As far as my film career is concerned, there early days proved to be quite difficult.

[b]- At what stage did you progress from stuntman to star?[/b]
- In 1973 Bruce Lee died. This left box office void that movie producers were desperate to fill. My friend, as a martial art choreographer, told producers about me. He said â??Look, you see Ho Chung Taoâ??s side profile could be image of Bruce Leeâ?. In response the producers said, â??Hey resemblance is not badâ?. However, my friend explained that although I could fight and act, I will still need a bit more reel-time maturity. The producers told me, â??Donâ??t worry. You will play the lead role in your next movieâ?. This was titled Conspiracy which was set in a 1920s style.

[b]- At what stage did producers replace your real name with the revenue reaping tag of Bruce Li or Li Hsiao Lung?[/b]
- After my first movie, the films would be crafted around the life and times of Bruce Lee. However I would like to make an important point, I did not like there films. Without my knowledge or consent the producers changed my name to Li Hsiao Lung.

[b]- Was it at this point that you took time out?[/b]
- Thatâ??s correct. I went into the army for a couple of years. Upon fulfilling my duties I returned to the movie scene. Producers were still pursuing the Bruce Lee biography concept.
[b]- You have worked with whole host of martial art movie legends. Can you recall the film you made with Lung Fei?[/b]
- That film was Bruce Lee Against superman. This was kind of average in story and effort. The fight choreography could have been better.

[b]- You made a selection of films with producer Jimmy Shaw. Where you happy with the finished project?[/b]
- Well, looking back I made those films for Jimmy Shaw back in 1975. My favourite would have to be Fist of Fury Part II, I played Bruce Leeâ??s younger brother from the Ching Wu school.

[b]- Who was responsible for giving you the pseudonym Bruce Li?[/b]
- It was Jimmy Shaw who marked me under English name Bruce Li. I was really against this. Simply, I can act out these biographical roles, however I can never be him. I would constantly tell producers â?? Bruce Lee is my idol, I like and admire him, please donâ??t keep me in this Lee-ographic limboâ?.

[b]- Do you have any opinion on any of the Lee Cine-Clone films that flooded the globe?[/b]
- I was becoming tired of the biopic concept. They wanted me to play Bruce, his brother, his uncle, literally anyone who they could genetically link with the Dragon. To Chinese people, Bruce Lee has a war-god status. We should not mock his memory as he presents true martial artistic essence.

[b]- What direction did you career take after the Jimmy Shaw productions?[/b]
- In 1976 I went to Hong Kong where I signed with the Eternal Films company. My first project with Eternal was Bruce Lee-The Man, The Myth. This was shot in Hong Kong, USA, Korea and Rome, many locations. Action-wise I was not pleased. Bruce Leeâ??s image was not projected as well as it could have been. After making this film I made a decision to change my style of acting and pursue other script ideas. This was evident in my next film for Eternal, Dynamo. I was very happy with this movie.

[b]- Can you recall the casting for Golden Harvestâ??s Game of Death?[/b]
- Originally Golden Harvest approached me to play apart in the, as then, unfinished Game of Death. I had to decline the offer. They wanted three actors to merge into the one role of Bruce. I did not like this concept.

[b]- Why did they require three actors for the role?[/b]
- Harvestâ??s concept was to merge attributes from three separate people: a Hong Kong actor would provide facial profiles, a Korean actor would be lensed for his kicking skills and whatever part of Bruce they had planned for me.

[b]- Why didnâ??t you take a role?[/b]
- I told Harvest â??If you want me to act in this film, I must play the part by myself. For this part I will cease all of my current obligations. I will do the best for the memory of Bruce Leeâ?.

[b]- How many films you have made and which do you like the best?[/b]
- I made about thirty films. From these three stand out the most. Firstly Dynamo. This was a good film for me to further express my action skills. I like the filmâ??s simple yet subtle script. Secondly, a firm favourite for me is Fist of Fury part II. I liked the final feel and look of this picture. My top film would be Chinese Stuntman. Here was an talent to work with. I had Peng Kang on cinematography, Phillip Ko, Kung Fu John (John Ladanski), Dan Inosanto and myself to craft a good action film.

[b]- Did you ever make any costume Kung Fu films?[/b]
- There was one called Ming Patriots. I hate making this film. I was confined to the boundaries of the directorâ??s vision. This was an ancient Kung Fu film replete with long robes, long hair and classical weapons.

[b]- In 1985 you retired from films. Do you still practice martial arts?[/b]
- I am still active in my martial arts studies. I also teach students the fundamentals of TV and film production.

[b]- With unlimited budget and free reign of production, what film would you like to make?[/b]
- I would like to project real aspects of Chinese martial arts. As for my ideal role, I would portray a regular city guy who breaks into show business and the returns to a humble lifestyle. Much like my role in Dynamo.

[b]- How would you like to be remembered?[/b]
- You may call me Ho Chung Tao or James Ho. I donâ??t like to be remembered as Bruce Li or Li Hsiao Lung because producers manipulated for the market-place. I want to be myself.

This should give you the answers on most of the questions related to Ho Chung Tao |:o

samtheseed

Postby samtheseed » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:07 pm

Bruce Li (Top 10)
The Chinese Stuntman
Dynamo
Lama Avenger aka The Three Avengers
Soul Brothers of Kung Fu
The Iron Dragon Strikes Back
Bruce Against Iron Hand
Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth
Exit The Dragon, Enter The Tiger
Fist of Fury 2 aka Jeet Kune the Claws and the Supreme Kung Fu
Edge of Fury

lauslee

Postby lauslee » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:44 pm

Bottom 10

Goodbye Bruce Lee: His Last Game of Death
Conspiracy (aka Enter the Panther)
Fist of Bruce Lee
Bruce Lee A Dragon Story
Bruce Lee Against Superman
Bruce Lee in New Guinea
Bruce Lee the Invincible
Great Hero
Dragon Force
Gecko Kung Fu

lauslee

Postby lauslee » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:09 am

[Quote=Pete Jr][Quote=lauslee]Bottom 10

Goodbye Bruce Lee: His Last Game of Death
Conspiracy (aka Enter the Panther)
Fist of Bruce Lee
Bruce Lee A Dragon Story
Bruce Lee Against Superman
Bruce Lee in New Guinea
Bruce Lee the Invincible
Great Hero
Dragon Force
Gecko Kung Fu

When you say bottom 10 Lauslee......does this mean that you agree with samtheseed's TOP 10 then?[/Quote]

Well yeah, it is pretty much decided what are Ho Chung Tao top movies, but if you are asking me I would add Fist of Fury 3 in place of Three Avangers.

samtheseed

Postby samtheseed » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Some nice pics there Pete Jr

lauslee

Postby lauslee » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:47 pm

[Quote=null]NEXT QUESTION......TO Lauslee....Are any of these movies CUT in anyway? [/Quote]

-Some prints of those movies have been hardly cut. For example scene where Ho Chung Tao uses nunchacku in Fist of Fury part II was cut in most of the prints, but luckily it was later re-edited in some fan projects. Also there were some cuts in end fight scene.

Here is video of Ho Chung Tao using nunchaku:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gscwrOv3N2E

-Soul Brothers of Kung Fu have few different endings. There is one where Carl Scott is killed at the end, and there is one where movie ends with Ho Chung Tao huging Carl. Also scene where Ho kills villian with iron finger technique has been cut from some prints.

-In Bruce Lee The Man, The Myth like in mostly every other kung fu film nunchaku scene was cut. When Ho Chung Tao fights Karate guy in Colloseum at one point of fight he uses nunchaku's and that scene was cut in some prints but like mostly every other it has been re-edited in fan projects.

Return to “Traditional Classic Movies”