Could we ever had imagined a day with all the Kung Fu on Youtube?

Mainly Firendy Conversations

Moderator: Pete Senior

samtheseed

Postby samtheseed » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:05 pm

It most certainly will deter legit licencing for Kung Fu and New Wave. It's quite sickening the ease of which these can accessed...All at the touch of a button!
Thank you gfanik1 for bringing this to our attention.
Youtube and Torrent sites are slowly but surely killing off our favourite genre.

SaritaLinda18

Postby SaritaLinda18 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Personally, I prefer to have dvds, I need to touch my movies and see their cover arts and that's true that the companies won't release anymore kung fu movies if things go on like this, but in another way, when the movies which are uploaded are very old movies which you can't find anywhere such as Repentance of the swordsman, or Decisive battle at Nan Ling temple (both choreographed by Liu Chia Liang, who plays also a small role in at least one of these two titles)or the black and white Taiwanese movie I found with Yee Yuen and Yang Lihua (see my post in the OPen topics section), it's a good thing to be able to watch them somewhere, hoping of course that there is no copyright infringement...

By the way, I discovered that Hoker is re-editing some Shaw Brothers movies with subtitles which couldn't be found anymore a year or two ago (they are also re-editing some Cathay movies), so, luckily,youtube hasn't killed the dvds as yet...

SaritaLinda18

Postby SaritaLinda18 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:27 pm

Yes, that's what I do, but it takes hours to search the Chinese title on hkmdb, then to copy paste it on youtube and verify if the results are really what you're looking for character by character ; it needs a very sharp sense of observation for those who don't speak Mandarin !!! For instance, there is a Chu Yuan's movie called Dial 999 for murder, but when I searched it, I not only found this one, but two or three other titles with the characters for 999 in the title and which were also very interesting, for instance Poisonous swan and I am the murderer, which English titles don't have any 999 ! And sometimes, the English title has nothing to do with the Chinese title, such as for The magnificent five : in Chinese, there isn't any five in the title, but it begins by the character meaning 7 !

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:51 pm

I do like the fact that there's a lot of kung fu on Youtube but I mainly watch short clips or trailers instead. It's a very good resource for "trying before you buy". Watching full movies on Youtube is rubbish IMO. Films plagued with blocky artifacts and slow streaming are not for me.

samtheseed

Postby samtheseed » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:18 am

I totally agree with you...fist.
But...In regards to "True Collectors" you'll find many of the genre's finest right here. (look no further than Rarebastards collection). pollypolly hit the nail on the head when he said "trying before you buy". There are still GEMS to found out there, it may be a case of serendipity, but they are out there somewhere.

Pete Senior

Re:well...

Postby Pete Senior » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:23 pm

[Quote=tantao2]...well said, fist!!! that's why i am no longer interested to discuss in forums with all these dvd-rs idiots and megaupload bullshitters and torrrent assholes wannabe "collectors"...[/Quote]

Well said St______ how are you these days Btw.

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Well the films were made for audiences...

SaritaLinda18

Postby SaritaLinda18 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:14 am

Yes, that's a pity that we won't be able to see so many Shaw Brothers' movies because Celestial was forced to close...

pollypolly

Re:

Postby pollypolly » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:55 pm

[Quote=Pete Jr]
To be honest I'm not totally against private torrents however I am against fly by night fans who have no idea about the passion for these classic Kung Fu movies.....[/Quote]

This is the comment I agree with the most in this thread so far.

Nowadays a new kung fu fan can easily amass a collection of around 1000+ kung fu movies in a few months by torrents and file-sharing. This may be fine but by doing so you miss that excitement of tracking down rare prints, finding that rare VHS tape that no-one else has, looking through dusty stacks of VCDs in a Chinese store etc. These are the things which create nostalgia and it's a lack of this feeling which I feel has contributed to the decline of the genre.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe in 20 years time a conversation between two fans could go something like this:
"Hey mate, remember the times when we used to watch kung fu streamed in rubbish quality on YouTube?"

"Yes mate, those were the days, that was the golden era..."

But I don't think so. I see a lot of new guys lose interest very quickly because everything is so easily obtainable nowadays. There's nothing much to spur them on because everything is at the touch of a button.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against file-sharing or torrents, they have their benefits and I use them when I need to. Ultimately, films were made for people to watch no matter what medium or format it is in. You can sit at home and watch your reels that you paid $1000 for or you can watch a film you downloaded on your phone on the way to work, whatever.
What winds me up a bit are 'fans' who just steam in, download 1000 films in 2 months without a single clue about what they're downloading, just so that they can gain a large collection as quickly as possible assuming it'll give them some sort of collector status. Give them a couple of months and they start looking for Tiger Boy and talking about rares, the usual pattern...and then..'poof'..they're gone. Instant burnout because of too much in such a short space of time. Why? Because it's all too easy.

You want this film? It's on YouTube. You want that film? It's on a torrent site. The thrill of hunting for films is gone and I think that this, coupled with the nostalgia, is one of the keys to longevity in any film genre.

[Quote=fist]what i'm saying is,if you're a true collector you want them all if you can get them good or bad.[/Quote]

I respect your opinion Fist but trust me mate, I've had enough of watching rubbish films! I don't want to track down a film that's garbage just because it's rare. I've done that for years and have ended up with a huge stack of tapes and DVDs that I know I'll never watch again.

Silver & Gold Dragon

Postby Silver & Gold Dragon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:36 am

It's a shame it put a stop to DVD with extras like the HKL, DD ect I loved have a film with interviews & if you were lucky footage that had been found in achieves & a commentary. Bey Logan's commentaries is part of the reason I started getting interested in information on these in the first place also he'd talk about people other than Bruce, Jackie & Jet. I may have over looked over stars...
& it a great shame we aren't getting this on DVD
[youtube]084jds6hhRY[/youtube]
It's only having a showing at on the 20th October in Coventry at the Martial Arts Expo event. It seems it not getting a release other than that mostly due to uploads to the net not making it worth pressing discs.
Imagine the other thing's we could have got like this.

Return to “Open Topics”