What have you watched recently?

Mainly Firendy Conversations

Moderator: Pete Senior

Silver & Gold Dragon

Re:

Postby Silver & Gold Dragon » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:55 pm

[Quote=weier78]And SHOWDOWN AT THE COTTONMILL - old school kung fun action with my mate Mr Tan kicking up trouble, though the movie title is misleading, where was the cottonmill?[/Quote]
The Cotton mill was in Shaolin Avengers as SHOWDOWN AT THE COTTON MILL is the sequel. If you were to watch the SHAOLIN TEMPLE series aka Shaolin cycle I think the best order for continuity of the story would be:
1 SHAOLIN TEMPLE
2 FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS
3 HEROES TWO
4 MEN FROM THE MONASTERY
5 SHAOLIN AVENGERS
6 SHOWDOWN AT THE COTTON MILL

[Quote=samtheseed]I think i'll try Silver & Gold Dragon's recommendation (Fight Dragon). It Sounds good.[/Quote]
Well I wasn't recommending it as such I was that If you are choosing between FIGHT! DRAGON(74 TV series) & THE FIGHTING DRAGON(1975 film) than the TV version is better due to more of it. It is a pretty descent series mostly about Yasuaki Kurata vs an assassin or group of some where pretty interesting one with various styles but pretty much the same ever episode thought.

weier78

Re:

Postby weier78 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:33 am

[Quote=SaritaLinda18]Just watched Furious avenger and Rebellious reign (Norman Tsui). Both superb movies, with a special mention for the second one ![/Quote]

Why does Rebellious Reign is regarded highly? I have not seen it, but the forums I have been in there is always a post about the movie.

weier78

Re:Re:

Postby weier78 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:40 am

[Quote=Silver & Gold Dragon][Quote=weier78]And SHOWDOWN AT THE COTTONMILL - old school kung fun action with my mate Mr Tan kicking up trouble, though the movie title is misleading, where was the cottonmill?[/Quote]
The Cotton mill was in Shaolin Avengers as SHOWDOWN AT THE COTTON MILL is the sequel. If you were to watch the SHAOLIN TEMPLE series aka Shaolin cycle I think the best order for continuity of the story would be:
1 SHAOLIN TEMPLE
2 FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS
3 HEROES TWO
4 MEN FROM THE MONASTERY
5 SHAOLIN AVENGERS

So does the movie "Disciples Of Shaolin" starring Fu Sheng, Kuan-Chun Chi also added to this list, or is it a movie separate from this group?

weier78

Postby weier78 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:47 am

Thanks Silver & Gold Dragon, I am dusting off my "Eagles Claw" and adding in a "Along Comes Tiger" for a Don Wong night

SaritaLinda18

Postby SaritaLinda18 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:49 am

The plot of Rebellious reign is about the struggle between 4th and 14th princes in order to success their dying father ; it's the same plot as in a Shaw's movie with Max Mok playing 4th prince (if I remember well. The title escapes to me, I watched too many Shaws !!!), so, nothing really new, but the fights are GREAAAT !!

What is new, however, is that the story focus on a Ming patriot who works for 14th prince as a general in order to make the Qing struggle with each other, so that the rebels can restore the Ming dynasty, but 14th prince is so devilish that he guesses his purpose. The general is Nian Geng Yao and I recently discovered that there is a series (pehaps tvb series) about him with Pai Piao, called The general Nian Geng Yao. It might be interesting to see it too in order to compare with Rebellious reign...

Here is a link where to get the series :

http://global.pchome.com.tw/english/?mod=item&func=exhibit&IT_NO=DNAA1S-A41605109&SR_NO=SLAB0O&ROWNO=123&tm=e

Silver & Gold Dragon

Re:Re:Re:

Postby Silver & Gold Dragon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:49 am

[Quote=Silver & Gold Dragon]If you were to watch the SHAOLIN TEMPLE series aka Shaolin cycle I think the best order for continuity of the story would be:
1 SHAOLIN TEMPLE
2 FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS
3 HEROES TWO
4 MEN FROM THE MONASTERY
5 SHAOLIN AVENGERS

So does the movie "Disciples Of Shaolin" starring Fu Sheng, Kuan-Chun Chi also added to this list, or is it a movie separate from this group?[/Quote]
Some considered that, based on the fact it was directed by Cheng Cheh & it has Shaolin in the title but however my list is based on follow a story(as best as you can)& well DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN doesn't fit into mine as there is no connection to Shaolin apart from Hung Gar also the film in my list are to do with the story of the burning of Shaolin Temple & the short time after & DISCIPLES is set quite a bit latter on.

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:19 pm

Disciples of Shaolin's Chinese title translates directly as the Hung Boxing Kid... it's part of Chang Cheh's loose "Kid" trilogy - Hung Boxing Kid, then New Shaolin Boxers aka Choi Lee Fut Boxing Kid, then Chinatown Kid...

Silver & Gold Dragon

Postby Silver & Gold Dragon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:18 am

Watched POLICE STORY 3 (SUPERCOP) it was on UK TV Freeview Ch 32 Movie Mix last night I enjoyed more than I remember liking it the first time, maybe 5 years ago now cos it feel very parted from the first 2 POLICE STORY's at the time or something. It was the dubbed & the Miramax version.

weier78

Postby weier78 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:41 am

just finished watching 'Kid With The Golden Arm'. Just wondering how they cleaned the poisoned chests when even the water is poisoned three villages away, maybe they used the wine Hai Tao was slurping down.

samtheseed

Postby samtheseed » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:48 pm

The Roaring Lion (1972) starring a young Cliff Lok and Pai Ying.
The action is mediocre.
The acting is mediocre.
Yet the real put-off was the foul language used, eff this and eff that, and even the Americanism...Mothereffer.
I think someone had a field day adding in the subs.
So for now i'll watch my 4 recent acquisitions, TWO CON MEN. SHAOLIN MANTIS. ENTER THE FAT DRAGON. and ALL MEN ARE BROTHERS.

Return to “Open Topics”