Print quality of rare films...

Mainly Firendy Conversations

Moderator: Pete Senior

PoleFighter

Postby PoleFighter » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:49 pm

I donâ??t know about you guys but thereâ??s something appealing about watching a low quality print of a rare martial arts film â?? you probably think Iâ??m mad but in this age of high-def digital quality, all those specks, lines and imperfections in the print almost add to the feel and mood of the film.

Of course it has to be watchable, and the more of these films that are remastered the better, but until that time, I kind of have a soft spot for the old prints! I suppose itâ??s like comparing vinyl records to CD or stop-motion special effects to CGI - they just have a certain charm about them!

In fact Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino spent loads of time, money and effort incorporating specks, lines and imperfections to their Grindhouse films â??Death Proofâ?? and â??Planet Terrorâ?? â?? to add to the feel and mood of them!

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:50 pm

I'm with you guys on this one. I don't like my kung fu films to look too pristine either, I like like grainy, gritty look. Agreed that it needs to be watchable though. I've got hundreds of poor quality prints which I know I'll never get round to watching.

SaritaLinda18

Postby SaritaLinda18 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:47 pm

Pete has a very good copy of Blooded treasury fight on his site, you should get it.

lauslee

Postby lauslee » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:50 pm

Damn guys I thought that I was the only one that loves "old cinema" quality movies. In the beginning I didn't know if it was just me but I was never able to watch old school kung fu movie with awesome quality, I really don't know how to explan but old school KF flicks in great quality are not what the should be :)

PoleFighter

Postby PoleFighter » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:32 pm

When I first started this thread I was in no way implying that the efforts of Pete and others were for nothing, on the contrary, I back the work you guys do 100%, after all it is the only way us fans ever get to see these lost classics and to preserve them for the future. Frankly I don't see how any self-respecting fan could disagree!

lauslee

Postby lauslee » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:47 pm

[Quote=Chingdog]It is a shock to many but I have never been a Shaw fan...always like the Taiwan films better[/Quote]

Similar thing here mate...

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Wed May 02, 2012 6:43 pm

A lot of the other Billy Chong films were joint Eternal/Shaw productions which probably explains the look and feel of it (Fistful is an Eternal prod too). I'd actually be very interested to see Fistful of Talons in HD.

Return to “Open Topics”