your favourite records/bands

Mainly Firendy Conversations

Moderator: Pete Senior

chopsocky

your favourite records/bands

Postby chopsocky » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:25 pm

i was just reading through the old music thread posted awhile back, we got a good mixture of tastes on the forum. So i thought we could have a thread to big up some of our favourite bands Lp's, ep's, singles ect.

I'm still a mad collector of vinyl and recently have been buying up most of the factory records catalouge, joy division, a certain ratio ect. The best and most under rated artists are in the form of 3 7" singles
The names- nightshift
Crawling chaos -sex machine /berlin
And stockholm monsters -fairytales.

Other labels are postcard with bands josef k , orange juice and aztect camera.
And much of the early rough trade records from 1978-1983.
I'm also really into the likes of throbbing gristle and psychic tv at the moment though its all pretty harsh stuff???
What sorts of tracks are everyone into then. I'd be interested in whst albums are your favourites because i'm always looking for new music and the above groups are just ones who's records i've been collecting recently.

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:46 am

I'm not really a fan of any of the new stuff. My music tastes are stuck firmly in the late 60's to early 80's era. One of the biggest drawbacks of moving abroad was that I couldn't take my vinyl with me, so I've got about 2500 records back in the UK with no current access to them. Nice to hear people are still buying vinyl though :)

kaleyboy

Postby kaleyboy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:56 pm

I've always been a David Bowie fan myself. The guy has made so much great music, and has influenced other bands and artists for decades. Also have to mention Neil Young, one of the greatest songwriters of the past 30 years; very underrated nowadays. Honourable mentions also to: Loudon Wainwright III (dad of Rufus & Martha), Jonathan Richman, Joy Division & the late legend Gram Parsons.

k-fist

Postby k-fist » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:34 pm

Most of the time i hear old SKA music like Prince Buster or Don Drummond

chopsocky

Postby chopsocky » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:31 am

love bowie alo, low diamond dogs and heroes are all amazing records. His work with iggypop and lou reed are also amazing, though iggy definately has the best version of china girl, the idiot album is amazing.

loempiavreter

Re:

Postby loempiavreter » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:21 pm

[Quote=SHAWMAN] My music tastes are strictly 60's music.....

I'm a Soul man myself...!!...

Motown...this is my passion, been collecting for 30 yaers or so,still have lots of Vinyl...i never tire of listening to this music......

Northern soul....love this too, so many classic and unknown tracks out there!!....

IMO...music today just does'nt compare,its over produced sterile sounding,sang without any passion,feeling or SOUL.....

I also like James Brown,Sam Cooke and many more.!![/Quote]

[Quote=k-fist]Most of the time i hear old SKA music like Prince Buster or Don Drummond [/Quote]

Kindred spirits :)

Mad collecter of vinyl myself.

My record collection (mostly 45's) consists of Ska, Rocksteady and Reggae '68-'71 style, Blues (Chess Stuff), Jazz (Blue Note stuff and organ grooves) R&B, Soul, Northern Soul, Motown, Funk, Beat/British R&B/Mod/Freakbeat, YéYé, Garage Rock, Group Sounds, 60's pop(sike), Boogaloo, Cumbia, Tropicalia.

And I just formed an R&B band (as in Rhythm & Blues, not the contemporary R&B stuff) :o

chopsocky

Postby chopsocky » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:34 am

I'M INTO SOME MODERN BANDS BUT MORE UNDER THE RADAR.

ELECTRICITY IN OUR HOMES
HATCHAM SOCIAL
WILD PALMS
THE MACCABEES

chopsocky

Postby chopsocky » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:49 am

ANY FANS OF THE CRAMPS?

morgoth bauglir

Postby morgoth bauglir » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:14 am

Black Sabbath

pollypolly

Re:

Postby pollypolly » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:00 pm

[Quote=chopsocky] ANY FANS OF THE CRAMPS?[/Quote]

Yeah, I've got a fair bit of time for The Cramps. I'm never one to favour image over the music but this is probably the only excpetion to that rule that I make...let's face it, The Cramps looked cool but their output wasn't particularly consistent during their later years. My favourite tracks both come off fo their Songs The Lord Taught Us LP - 'Sunglasses After Dark' & The Sonics cover 'Strychnine'. I'd love to see an live anthology DVD of theirs.

RIP Lux Interior!

Return to “Open Topics”