is Chuck Norris for Real!

Mainly Firendy Conversations

Moderator: Pete Senior

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:08 am

Interesting clip Chi, thanks for posting. From the clip I think Chuck believes that he could have taken Bruce in a real fight -
"Well, I was a professional figher"
"And he (Bruce) wasn't?"
"No"

kermit

Postby kermit » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:00 pm

The thing about Bruce Lee is that his myth grows all the time, to the point that he now has an aura of invincibility.

Chuck has a good point. He was a professional fighter and Bruce was a screenfighter. Karate is very efficient and that's the kind of thing that wins a real fight.

Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:09 am

Two words: Joe Lewis.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJMDb8mjEBA[/url]

Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:19 pm

Joe Lewis is far superior to Bill Wallace in my opinion. In addition, Bruce Lee himself openly stated that Lewis was the greatest fighter he had seen. Lewis was always a hardcore fighter as opposed to an entertainer and Lee also worked out with Joe, incorporating Lewis' stance, sidekick and backfist into his repetoire. Bruce Lee kept footage of Lewis' bouts and these were found amongst his belongings in Hong Kong.

Wallace was a Judo man who switched to Karate when he became injured. He was never handicapped and simply used the one leg to jab, rather like a boxer. Wallace was swept due to being over reliant on this. Incidentally, Elvis Presley saved Wallace's career by paying for surgery on his leg in the 70s.

Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:19 pm

[Quote=muhtarthefatdragon]I think bruce would win, bruce wasnt just a movie star, he was a real martial artist too as chuck. Bruce got real opponents that proves he is real fighter too. But otherside chuck only fought on ring with rules of karate. If im not wrong bruces opponent were a bit varied in martial arts also. And speaking for speed I dont need write so much about. Another thing chuck got his but kick against Whang in sik in way of the dragon. In one interview with Whang he told that he kicked and chuck fainted. There are many factors.... [/Quote]

I admire Lee as much as the next person but his choice of movie opponents does not prove anything. Furthermore, his first two movies didn't even feature any high calibre martial artists.

k-fist

Postby k-fist » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:26 pm

Now something about Bruce Lee he was a real martial artist but he never mastered one style he learned Wing Chung to about 7-8 degree of pupilssystem of the style of today ( Siu Nim Tau 1 form, Chum Kiu 2 form and about 1 section chi sau ) . This is not much because a good pupil learn this in 1 - 2 years or faster. The other stuff he learned with his patners and so on. What he was a great thinker and that is why he came so far and create his owen system Jeet Kune Do. But this says nothing about the quality of a real fight, i read the authobiography of Jackie Chan and he wrote that Sammo and Bruce had a little training in the morning the day when the fight between them where shot of Enter the Dragon. And Jackie wrote if i read it right that Bruce had no chance ( he did not write that Sammo beat him ... but he wrote he had no chance !!!! ). We all love Bruce Lee and what he did not only for the Martial Arts movie genre but rather for the martial arts world is tremendous, but he is only human !!!!! Let him walk into the ring with some K1 or Mix Martial Artist of today and belief me not 30 sec. he would stand on his feet. Today this generation of fighters are all small Bruce Lees because they must learn everything what they can get to become champion.

Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:57 am

[Quote=muhtarthefatdragon]no I actually meant Bruce Lee got real life opponents also. [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight_history_of_Bruce_Lee[/url]
so he got real life fights also. He is experience with no holds barred fights and not Chuck he fought only in ring and with rules.[/Quote]

The link you provided contains anecdotes which were never verified. The only witnesses were Bruce Lee's students who understandably have a vested interest in preserving his legacy. There is no documented evidence that Lee ever took part in no holds barred fights and such information is at the core of the Bruceploitation industry.

Bruce himself told a few tall tales and regailed Unicorn Chan with daring deeds of defeating attackers in airports etc. The truth has become obscured and people prefer the myth.

Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:28 am

I thought I'd revisit this thread as I was involved in a funny (in hindsight) conversation about Bruce the other day. A guy at work had watched Enter The Dragon on TV and another colleague got it confused with Game Of Death. However, he was initially insistant that he was correct despite my comments. I remained polite during this chat...

This clip (at 2mins 18 secs) reminds me of the public misconceptions surrounding Bruce. Incidentally, he really did fake his passing to investigate triad activity.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geZoES9KQ-Q[/url]

Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:22 pm

[Quote=fist] Bruce trained joe Lewis.Joe Lewis was not winning a damn tournament until after he trained with Bruce.after that they could'nt beat him.lol[/Quote]

I think you need to do a little research. Joe Lewis was one of the top fighters on the US tournament circuit when he first met Lee. By his own admission Lewis didn't have much time for 'finger painting' Kung Fu stylists and it was Lee who was eager to meet Lewis. The two first met when Lewis was at the offices of Black Belt magazine and it was the relatively unknown Lee who introduced himself.

I'm a big Bruce Lee fan myself but anecdotes about superhuman feats and street fights do the man a serious disservice.

Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:51 pm

Personally, I think Carruthers is a chancer and I've made this known on the forum before. He's now quite well connected with the Lee estate, which isn't saying much considering some of their decisions in recent years.

I would have expected the 'new Bruce Lee' to be less aesthetically challenged.

[upload]941[/upload]

[upload]942[/upload]

Return to “Open Topics”