TV SERIES

Mainly Firendy Conversations

Moderator: Pete Senior

Athena

Beardy shines brigthly , LOL !!

Postby Athena » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:23 pm

[Quote=Hwang Jang Lee] 2005 - Real Kung Fu (20 Parts) - Yuen Biao, Leung kar Yan, Gordon Liu (appearance by Yuen Wah)

Has anyone seen this? Any good?[/Quote]
Hello Hwang Jang Lee !
If you have not seen it , you should !
It is great! One of the very best of the later Tv series made...

With a real OLD SCHOOL FLAIR !!
Awesome action & a good storyline. Impressive work by all our old favorites, but Beardy is the most outstanding !!

Also he is excellent in :
Return of the Condor Heroes
The Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils
Legend of the Condor Heroes
( & many more ..I love his TV series,I have most of them .)

He tends to get underused in the later ones, I were not happy with his character in 7 Swordsmen.
That appearance is typical of his later roles ..Underused again !!

Glad you brought the TV series up, not everyone has gotten into them yet ...Many of them are well worth your time & money ! Especially the 70's & 80's ones ..I don't have one from that time period I DON'T LOVE !!!

Xiexie Athena..;)

Aka Tek

Postby Aka Tek » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:37 pm

Ive been collecting a few but due to the lack of subs I tend to only go for those with the more famous actors like Bruce Liand, Chang Yi, Hwang Jang Lee etc.

Athena

SANDGLASS !!

Postby Athena » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:30 pm

[Quote=Hwang Jang Lee] Athena, are any of the series you've seen available in English? I wonder if there are any old school Korean kung fu series??

I reckon lack of subs is the key in a lack of knowledge of these series. Rdenn is a don for the tv series and I've seen a couple of his compilations with some mad shapes, I think that's the best way to view them.

I got burnt out for similar reasons IFM, it was caused by having hundreds of washed out VHS to get through. Getting rid of them was the first step in a slow recovery![/Quote]

Hwang Jang Lee !

More than 1/2 of the available Taiwanese, Hong Kong & Chinese TV series available now have English subs. The problem here is knowing what to buy !!
All of the 70's, 80's, early 90's are great !!

But then the tricky part comes , the last decade they have catered to a VERY YOUNG audience & tailoring the stories to them. Take PAITRIOTIC KNIGHTS (36 episodes ), a great traditional Wuxia Story...They made every clan leader about 12 years old with cute pop outfits !! ( I am exaggerateing, but still ). It is awfull ! Norman Chu is advertised as a star & killed off after about 2 minutes !
& this is typical...

But then you have well done ones like REAL KUNG FU , maybe WING CHUN, HANSOME SIBLINGS.. They have the cute young people too but within reason. I have brought so many by now so I can easily tell how to pick them but it take some getting used to. ( Like you guys "know your "old school movies.)

The Koreans are just now starting to English sub their stuff & market it internationally. Not a lot of old SHAPES TV series available yet but they are working on it. I will look around some more & let you know !!

& there is one Korean TV series I will recommend from 95 : SANDGLASS !! The action is more BASHER style but it is one of the highest-rated dramas in Korean history. Dealing with South Korea's politically turbulent recent past,remember Gwangju Democratization Movement ?The assassination of President Park Chung Hee ? Martial law declared & prosecution of ex-President Chun Doo Hwan responsible for the massacre of hundreds of civilians ?
The horrible military rule & corrupt cover up ?

It is supposed to "star " Hwang Jang Lee (!) but he only has a supporting role as a "heavy " for one of the corrupt leaders... Still great to see him again !!

It is a great series & reminds us that everything is relative... Compared to the EVIL North Korea, it is easy for a neighboring state to get away with injustice when they have a reputation as the good guys...
( I have no doubt things are worse in the North! But not exactly a paradise in South Korea still despite the remarkable economic prosperity of Seoul & the South ...)
Xiexie Athena..;)[img]http://lan.ms11.net/dh/sandglass.jpg[/img]

Cast :
Choi Min-soo as Park Tae-soo
Park Sang Won as Kang Woo-suk
Ko Hyun Jung as Yoon Hye-rin
Lee Jung Jae as Baek Jae-hee

Production credits :
Writer: Song Ji Na
Director: Kim Jong Hak

Athena

rdenn The MASTER ! ;)

Postby Athena » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:25 pm

[Quote=rdenn] most of these do not have subs but i just compile the fights some tvb series

young heroes of shaolin with tung wei
[youtube]I3NhJ2wbXqI[/youtube]

return of wong fei hung, andy lau

[youtube]iN8mH8cRXCY[/youtube]

the hawk with adam cheng
[youtube]SF2dyg9T_BI[/youtube]

beardy as wong fei hung
[youtube]-UgjkYlABBI[/youtube]

ray liu kung fu master of fat shan
[youtube]EtDzsJnQtuI[/youtube]

lady flowerfist with lau kar wing and auntie
[youtube]_E3a70g9uO8[/youtube][/Quote]

Thank You rdenn !
Seriously Victorious Editing !
Xiexie, Athena..;)

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:18 pm

Ah man...this series looks awesome Pete...I need to get involved in it. All my favourites are there! Ever considered selling some of these series on the site?

Pete Senior

Postby Pete Senior » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:53 pm

[Quote=]pete i see on your tv section you have the best of bruce liang part 1/2, i compiled tham both they are legandary fok and chen zhen we watched them round clives yard remember....[/Quote]

Rodney my old friend those were the good old days by Clive's place. I seem to remember you being the king pin of TV kung fu classics. Your collection must have spiraled into a mammoth collection by now. The Bruce Liang series is amazing to watch and the fights are beyond the norm.

Athena

Living legends...

Postby Athena » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:05 pm

[Quote=FLK Pete Senior] [Quote=]pete i see on your tv section you have the best of bruce liang part 1/2, i compiled tham both they are legandary fok and chen zhen we watched them round clives yard remember....[/Quote]

Rodney my old friend those were the good old days by Clive's place. I seem to remember you being the king pin of TV kung fu classics. Your collection must have spiraled into a mammoth collection by now. The Bruce Liang series is amazing to watch and the fights are beyond the norm.[/Quote]

FLK Pete Senior !
I have to take this opportunity to say hello Sir !
It is an honour ! I remember hearing about you from way back from from my great dad ! I lived in the UK in my teen years & were very found of the place !!
it is a pleasure to meet a living legend indeed !
Sincerely, Xiexie Athena..;)

Pete Senior

Postby Pete Senior » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:26 pm

[Quote=Athena]FLK Pete Senior ! I have to take this opportunity to say hello Sir ! It is an honour ! I remember hearing about you from way back from from my great dad ! I lived in the UK in my teen years & were very found of the place !! it is a pleasure to meet a living legend indeed ! Sincerely, Xiexie Athena..[/Quote]

Thank you for your kindness Athena. Modesty forbids me accepting the legendary honor. I hope very much your father is among us older fans, possibly being one of the die-hard collectors as I like to refer to older fans with such a terminology. Please send him my regards and its quite possible we may have met you having spent time in the UK.

Nathan@FLK

TV Movies Heading

Postby Nathan@FLK » Sun May 22, 2011 1:35 pm

Forgive me for the delay, we were updating FLK forum. Your NEW TOPIC is up and running.

kungfumoviecinema

Postby kungfumoviecinema » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:55 am

I say i must agree with rdenn there are so many big guns in the tv series and the shapes are crazy and one of my favorites is still king of the drunken fists its one of the only times you see moon lee really let off but the picture quality isnt to good now days and it would be nice if they were subbed up.

Return to “Open Topics”