Mr. Nice Guy translation help

Feel free to pop in here and pose any question to the board. The resident members will be more than happy to help out, whether it be movie identification or star geneaology, chances are someone here can answer you.
Markgway

Mr. Nice Guy translation help

Postby Markgway » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:56 pm

Not sure if this is the right forum, but anyhow...

Does anyone here speak Mandarin and can translate a raw scene from MR. NICE GUY for me?

The dub track on the Chinese version uses a different translation and so those subtitles are useless.

Here's a link to the uncut movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLq0EVMGCx8

I'm looking for the dialogue between 48:53 and 49:40.

A literal translation is fine as I can reword it myself as long as I understand the meaning.

Thanks to anyone who helps.

Pete Senior

Postby Pete Senior » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:33 am

SaritaLinda18 understands Chinese to an extent. Perhaps she can help here.

KeungKau

Postby KeungKau » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:26 am

I have a version from China that has both Chinese&English Subtitles
so maybe it is the same?

I just checked the dvd and scene looks pretty much identical to the youtube one.

Jackie tells her

"Lakeisha and I are just friends
Dont be Jealous"

"I'm not
but you two looked intimate
So I misunderstood"

"So should I be mean to her?"

" of course not! "

"So be nice to her"

then they are interupted by the henchmen.

I Hope this helps you out Markgway

Markgway

Postby Markgway » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:36 am

KeungKau, that translation looks to be the one from the New Line version, which is missing several lines.

The Chinese editions of the film have redubbed the Mandarin so that the dialogue is different than on the uncut original audio version.

That's why I need a new translation from the original audio (as shown on Youtube) as no subs currently exist for it and I've no idea what they're saying.

KeungKau

Postby KeungKau » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:20 pm

I see ,
Sorry I couldn't assist ,

I'm guessing the China version is cut then?

If it was Cantonese I maybe be able to help out

Hopefully someone can find out for you.

Markgway

Re:

Postby Markgway » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:58 pm

Thanks.

No, the Mandarin version is uncut, it just uses a different dub than the original.

I don't know why pre-existing Mandarin lines were changed?

SaritaLinda18

Postby SaritaLinda18 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Thanks for mentioning me, Pete senior, but unfortunately, my Mandarin isn't good enough to understand what they said. I'm more at ease when I listen to the Shaws' Mandarin language, because they don't have the same accent as the one Jackie Chan and the girl have in this scene. All what I understood is that Jackie asked the girl if she had understood now (when they are lying on the ground) but I didn't understand anything the girl said, except " Is that true? " a few seconds before the bandits come in and Jackie answered " Yes, that's true " and something else and then she said "What ? " and the bandits came in...

Sorry, I wasn't the person able to help you.

Pete Senior

Re:

Postby Pete Senior » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:25 pm

[Quote=SaritaLinda18]Thanks for mentioning me, Pete senior, but unfortunately, my Mandarin isn't good enough to understand what they said. I'm more at ease when I listen to the Shaws' Mandarin language, because they don't have the same accent as the one Jackie Chan and the girl have in this scene. All what I understood is that Jackie asked the girl if she had understood now (when they are lying on the ground) but I didn't understand anything the girl said, except " Is that true? " a few seconds before the bandits come in and Jackie answered " Yes, that's true " and something else and then she said "What ? " and the bandits came in...

Sorry, I wasn't the person able to help you.[/Quote]

The fact that you tried to help is a good thing. Thanks for attempting to help SaritaLinda.

Markgway

Postby Markgway » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:32 pm

Yeah, I appreciate you checking the clip.

Return to “Newbie Question Area”