what do you mean by 'shapes' in movies?

Feel free to pop in here and pose any question to the board. The resident members will be more than happy to help out, whether it be movie identification or star geneaology, chances are someone here can answer you.
weier78

what do you mean by 'shapes' in movies?

Postby weier78 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:34 am

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but when you guys talk about shapes or shape actors, what does it all mean?

samtheseed

Postby samtheseed » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:51 am

Animal Shapes: Monkey. Snake. Dragon. Tiger. Eagle. and so on.

Silver & Gold Dragon

Postby Silver & Gold Dragon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:11 am

Traditional Kung Fu films that are more to traditional form look more dance when compared to the very rigid 'Basher'('Punch & Block') counter parts or maybe 'New Wave' 'Shapes' look fluid like Kung Fu & 'Bashers' sort of a more rigid like Karate. 'Shapes' tend to have circular movement where as Basher tend to be more straight line. 'Shapes' where used in the very early days of Kung Fu Cinema but then in the 60's & early 70's it switched to 'Bashers' films like VENGEANCE, HAPKIDO ect

Then 'Shapes' came back in about 73/74 then the start of the SHAOLIN TEMPLE series & the like.
This video should as a visual explanation:
[youtube]OKNryr5be4s[/youtube]
These great term to use IMO if someone use it to describe a film you get a good idea of how the action is. I feel as though there should almost be a term after 'New Wave' for 21st Century stuff.

samtheseed

Shapes are better defined with pictures

Postby samtheseed » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Shapes

[img]http://i46.tinypic.com/16ii2ki.jpg[/img]
Here we have a martial artist whose body pose (shape) looks like that of a Praying Mantis.

[img]http://i50.tinypic.com/2zg6zoy.jpg[/img]
Here we have someone showing us the Eagle's Claw. Another excellent "Shape".

Shape.Stance.Form. Representative of their particular martial art.

Return to “Newbie Question Area”