The Decline Of The Kung Fu Film Fan?

Feel free to pop in here and pose any question to the board. The resident members will be more than happy to help out, whether it be movie identification or star geneaology, chances are someone here can answer you.
pollypolly

Re:

Postby pollypolly » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:09 pm

[Quote=rarebastard]...should make sure anything they release is "ultimate" that way they build their insted of destroying it as most do nowadays.[/Quote]

Yes, with most people being in the trading game, a "no frills" release just doesn't quite cut it to be honest. Why pay money for a full screen print with ropey cover art when you can get it in a trade for nowt. However, remastered with extras, dual audio tracks and featurettes and the fans will splash their cash on an original copy. If there is a decline then it is mainly down to DVD companies in my opinion.

rono1

Postby rono1 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:06 pm

Pete hope the documentary comes off, i personally have moved on a bit from martial arts, its interesting what you say about the dvds some companies do a good job but most just put out rubbish soon it will be hard to get any old classics. Keep trying to get the docu done let me know if i can be of any help

pollypolly

Re:Champ is right...

Postby pollypolly » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:49 pm

[Quote=Linn] the years and years of titles being out there for nothing on every street corner devalued titles [/Quote]

[Quote=Leungkar1]I wish Linn. What street corners are you talking about?[/Quote]

Linn is talking about bootleg discs. I could name a few outdoor markets in London that I've spotted selling illegal copies.

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:29 pm

I haven't spotted them down Camden my friend, though I don't doubt that they're shifting them round that way too.
I'm down South East London way...and Deptford market has been known to offend on several occasions...

Goldenswallow

Postby Goldenswallow » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:52 pm

I don't know if it's proper fans like on this forum that would buy bootlegs anyway, I should think that we all know the value of supporting legit companies. I've got about three Panmedias but I bought them before I knew any different. As for smoking - it's been banned round my house since I got married!
;*O

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:47 pm

Some people will just have to dig a little deeper for titles. Some fans only buy their films from HMV and at the other end of the spectrum, some fans only trade and download. It all depends on what level or how deep into the genre that you want to get.

I feel a little bad for Kung Fu fans just starting out because there isn't a wealth of titles coming through legitimately and it's difficult for them to trade because they don't have the titles or are not known to other collectors.

Let's thank the heavens that these sorts of forums and communities exist so we can share our knowledge, pool resources and keep things moving forward, even if it is at a relatively low-key level.

Drunken Master

Postby Drunken Master » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:52 am

[Color=Blue]CineAsia are picking up some releases now. They have already released "[I]Dragon Tiger Gate[/I]", "[I]Flashpoint[/I]", "[I]Fatal Contact[/I]", "[I]Chocolate[/I]" and "[I]An Empress and The Warriors[/I]", plus some Korean Horror flicks.

Jackie Chan's "[I]The Myth[/I]" is about to get its first UK release through them, and they have the Japanese action film "[I]Machine Girl[/I]" as a forthcoming release too. We'll have to see just how good the quality of these releases will be. The early days of [B]Hong Kong Legends [/B]will take some beating.

As far as [B]Dragon Dynasty [/B]goes, the last I heard was that they were facing financial problems in the current economic climate so I wouldn't hold my breath for many UK releases soon. I'm sure [B]Momentum[/B] are currently releasing the [B]DD [/B]versions of "[I]36th Chamber of Shaolin[/I]" and "[I]King Boxer[/I]" which were due out at the end of March.[/Color]

azzbamf

Postby azzbamf » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:02 pm

I dont know about you guys but there seems to be quite a few recent asian or kung fu films for sale know at the supermarkets and they sell them for a reasonable price i picked warlords up for 4 pound and i seen ip man for a fiver i cant afford to be paying top wack when i can justify spending it on family shopping i have never brought bootlegs and would never put them in my collection and i do understand the other side mega rare films can only be got by getting copies. my ip man cost 18 quid when it come out and it does gut ya when you see it for a fiver you wouldn't mind but its the middle man wanting his or her top bucks all the time i think that ruins it for a lot of people and HMV you have to admit some of there films are ridiculously priced i brought butterfly and sword in an offer ages ago it was 3 titles i think for 20 recently i have seen butterfly and sword at HMV for 20 quid on its own.
So which companies do you give the thumbs up to that we should go and buy i did support HKL but could only spend roughly about 40 to 50 quid a time and i thought it was great when they had a sale. wish they were still going.

weier78

Postby weier78 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Here in Australia, it is dead quiet. One place where I can go for a martial arts fix is jb-hifi, but then their stock is limited to popular releases, like anything to do with Jackie Chan and Jet Li. So online is the place to be, for old school kung fu.

Return to “Newbie Question Area”