Hired Guns

For disscussion about gun play movies of all the eras.
rarebastard

Hired Guns

Postby rarebastard » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:45 pm

an early 80's offering with alot of old school talent

Big Little Eye AKA Sung Gam-Shing
Phillip ko fei
Mang Ding Goh
John Chang
Johnny Cheung Yiu-Wah
Lai Kim Hung

sung gam shing is the unlikey lead a plain clothes policeman of the anti-triad bureau. he is an odd looking fellow but a very smart detective. pretty much along the lines of a columbo type cop.
this fim does not take long to get the killing, the first scene takes place in a tea shop where 2 criminals are talking about the benifits of walking around unarmmed then all you see is a finger enter the frame pointing out the victim of the hit. john chang enters at this point and blows the guy away like its nothing in broad day! this pretty much sets the tone for the movie. no nonsense dark gritty and downbeat. just the way i like um!! and its the first minute and a half. i don't want to spoil it too much but if you like crime thrillers this one is a non stop ride. shoot outs, chopper fights, hand to hand combat, high risk take downs and murder after murder. there is also some stuntwork and shocking scenes involving kids. a great early example of the genre if you liked collie killer you will get into this one!! check it out|:o

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:08 pm

Now we're talking Rare! This has been on my wants list for quite a while now but as I hadn't heard much mentioned about it I'd been a little cautious - thanks for the lowdown on it.
Is this about on VCD? I know there is a Tai Seng VHS still knocking about...

rarebastard

Postby rarebastard » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:06 pm

i have the mainland dvd and it looks mint!

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:00 pm

Cheers for the info Rare, I've just seen and purchased it for $4. I never knew it was knocking about on DVD, so thanks again. Will post my thoughts when it arrives.

rarebastard

Postby rarebastard » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:06 pm

no problem polly glad i could help. just trying to bring attention to these films. phillip ko is ice cold in this you won't be let down

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:46 am

I finally got round to watching this one....twice!. This was great stuff - nice and gritty early 80's action and Dai Sai Aan made a surprisingly charismatic lead cop!. Pretty brutal in places and you were right Rare, Philip Kao Fei is a mean SOB as the main villain!.
Thanks again for the heads up.

rarebastard

Postby rarebastard » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:18 pm

glad to see your back polly at least i have someone else that loves these types of flicks and takes the same attitude towards collecting as me. i look forward to a few recommendations from you as well.

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:53 pm

Thanks man. Yeah, any of those raw early 80's gunplay flicks are right up my street. Speaking of Ko Fei, I need to pick up another one of his which also starred Dai Sai Aan, made a year earlier called [B]'Way To Hell'[/B]. Saw some stills once, looked pretty damn good.

rarebastard

Postby rarebastard » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:31 pm

just from that title it sounds pretty bad ass and it's from that era it has to be gritty.

Hwang Jang Lee

Postby Hwang Jang Lee » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:35 am

This looks tops. Cheers for letting me know Polly, and thanks to RB for the initial recommendation!

Did you get your dvd from ebay?

Have you had a chance to check out 'Way to Hell'? I will watch anything with Phillip Ko Fei in it.

Return to “Heroic Gunshed Discussion”