Hired Guns

For disscussion about gun play movies of all the eras.
pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:27 pm

No worries Hwang!.
Yes, I got mine from eBay from a Hong Kong seller. It's a mainland DVD with really ropey cover art unrelated to the film, however, the print is 'glass' and it's subbed!

I picked up 'Way To Hell' but I've only skimmed it. It looks like a pretty hard hitting movie. I do need to check it properly very soon and when I do I'll post some details and thoughts about it.

rarebastard

Postby rarebastard » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:59 pm

nice one with that way to hell, glad there is a copy out there among collectors

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:45 pm

Just watched 'Way To Hell' and as well as having a similar cast, it had an almost identical plot to 'Hired Guns' too.
Philip Kao Fei and Eddie Kao head up a gang of crooks who plot a heist on a gold bullion stash and Dai Sai Aan is the police officer on the case.
This wasn't as evenly paced or exciting as 'Hired Guns'. Dai Sai Aan doesn't have as much depth to his character in 'Way To Hell' and whereas Philip Kao was downright ruthless in 'Hired Guns' - here he is just wreckless and a little buffoonish in some scenes.
Still, it's by no means a bad movie and the end shoot out in the obligatory junk yard is fairly exciting.
Go for 'Hired Guns' if you had to choose between the two.

Hwang Jang Lee

Postby Hwang Jang Lee » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:47 pm

Cheers, useful info there, thanks for the overview. That leaves me in a quandry as to which to watch first. I know I will watch both at some point, and if I watch the better one first I will only be disappointed with the other. O dear.

Return to “Heroic Gunshed Discussion”