Hitman 1998

For disscussion about gun play movies of all the eras.
gfanikf1

Hitman 1998

Postby gfanikf1 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:39 pm

This is a great film starring Jet Li, Eric Tsang, and Simon Yam. Jet plays a hitman from the mainland who just can't seem to get into the groove of his job. However, when a murdered Japanese businesman leaves a 100 million USD vengence fund Jet tries to get in on the action after being rebuffed by guards at the events he is brought in by Eric Tsang's character. To describe the film any more would be a diservice by spoiling this great flick.This is a very good mix of action and comedy and is one of the few films with Jet Li that was filmed in sync sound with Jet speaking cantonese instead of Mandarin. Eric Tsang is a joy to watch. The kung fu is excellent with a real jem of an end fight. If you like action and comedy you will love this film.

yuenfan

Postby yuenfan » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:51 am

That being said, Hitman and High Risk are new wave films.

There should be a definite set of guidelines for determining which films belong in the new wave section and the gunplay section. It's misleading to the less knowledgeable fans, dontcha think?

Ahhh.....forget it!!!:|

Eagles Claw Champ

Postby Eagles Claw Champ » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:29 am

yeah mate but i thing its a gunshed flick and a wicked one too its difficult to seperate newwave from gunn shed flicks because they are the same mates :)

newave is meant to be the time and period a flck was made mate not to give us a name for the genre;)

good point yuenfan but i think our mate gfanikf got it right mate its a gunshed filck alright.

yuenfan

Postby yuenfan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:11 am

Sorry ECC, but I hope we can agree to disagree.

I think any modern HK action film with at least 1 (reasonably lengthy) "fight" scene should be regarded as a new wave film and that a gunshed film should contain [I]NO kf whatsoever[/I]. [B]Wouldn't it be less confusing this way?[/B]

Jet Li does some terrific wireless kf on this one (with at least 4 fight scenes) while Simon Yam does most of the shooting, and I wouldn't want other fans thinking there's no kf on this one because it's listed in the "gunplay" section.

As you all know...the new wave section has needed a boost for some time now, and [I]hijacking[/I] some of those films into this section won't help at all. [I]It was bad enough[/I] that gunplay films were being placed in the new wave section before. Wasn't KF supposed to be a priority in here?:|

Anyway...it's your call, mates. I'm outta here!

rarebastard

Re:

Postby rarebastard » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:57 pm

[Quote=yuenfan]
Sorry ECC, but I hope we can agree to disagree.

I think any modern HK action film with at least 1 (reasonably lengthy) "fight" scene should be regarded as a new wave film and that a gunshed film should contain [I]NO kf whatsoever[/I]. [B]Wouldn't it be less confusing this way?[/B]

Jet Li does some terrific wireless kf on this one (with at least 4 fight scenes) while Simon Yam does most of the shooting, and I wouldn't want other fans thinking there's no kf on this one because it's listed in the "gunplay" section.

As you all know...the new wave section has needed a boost for some time now, and [I]hijacking[/I] some of those films into this section won't help at all. [I]It was bad enough[/I] that gunplay films were being placed in the new wave section before. Wasn't KF supposed to be a priority in here?:|

Anyway...it's your call, mates. I'm outta here![/Quote]

i haven't seen this film in like 5 years so i would have to rewatch it to decide where it belongs

yes the new wave vs HG is very confusing indeed but we can only try our best to do justice to all the films.

but if we say any movie with fights is new wave how do we define the girls with guns genre?? i think i asked this before and alot of fans concider it HG. discussion is why we are here and a little debate is healthy as well as informitive. so if you have insight or a different perspective please share it and don't feel its them or me because we are all fans and we all love these films and i belive alot of fans respect your opinion from what i have read. i think the debate is still wide open IMO.

jet li is a super star with the power to cross over to many genres. his films all show some fighting in them. does that mean he has never been in a gunshed movie? i don't know but i have seen him fire a gun. he says now his martial arts movie career is done but he will play a cop does that mean he will only do HG now??

rarebastard

Postby rarebastard » Mon May 05, 2008 4:58 am

i got to re-watch the film G was right gunshed! i was begging for some punch ups durring this one

Return to “Heroic Gunshed Discussion”