Euro Crime Artwork!

For all the fans into Spaghetti Westerns, Itallian Crime, Black Exploitation and Horror
Aka Tek

Henry Silva

Postby Aka Tek » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:38 pm

Hey guys did you know that this man plays a gangster in the movie Ghost Dog....... ice cold. Anyway can you recommend any movies that he is in. I know that there are some movies released on DVD were this man has parts. These movies seem to be pretty rare also though. Where and what movie should you start with, and why?

Kwai Chang

Henry Silva

Postby Kwai Chang » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:13 pm

Silva plays the main villain in Steven Seagal's first movie, 'Above The Law' aka 'Nico' (1988). This is a cool movie.

The original 'The Manchurian Candidate' (1962) also features Silva. The film is of interest to martial arts fans as Frank Sinatra has a Karate fight with Silva. This was one of the first Hollywood movies to feature a martial arts scene. The first was James Cagney's 'Blood On The Sun' from 1945 in which Cagney is a Judo stylist.

pollypolly

Re:Henry Silva

Postby pollypolly » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:02 pm

[Quote][I]Originally Posted By Aka Tek[/I]
[B]Henry Silva...Where and what movie should you start with, and why?[/B][/Quote]

HENRY SILVA!
This man is one of the ultimate cult actors IMO.
While he may never win any oscars for his acting he has an incredible screen presence and brings a tremedous amount of menace to his villain roles. He was type-cast as a hood or mafia don in the 70's before being drafted in to play numerous evil villains during the 80's / 90's.

For classic Henry Silva performances, I think the first film I'd recommend to any Silva newcomers would surprisingly be one of his villain roles in a mainstream film:

[B]SHARKY'S MACHINE [/B]- Directed by and starring Mr Toupe himself Burt Reynolds (1981). Henry Silva plays hitman Billy Score in one of the most demented and disturbed bad guy performances from that decade. Just watching him lose his marbles in a PCP & cocaine fuelled rage at the end is worth anyone's money - it's a classic, classic performance! Beware of some versions that are cut.

(Sorry I dont have any images of this - my VHS is in my airing cupboard somewhere!)

[B]EXECUTIONER[/B] - Directed by Umberto Lenzi (1974)
One of the key Euro Crime films with a terrific cast. This classic has Henry Silva play a police chief on the tail of the despicable Giulio Sacchi (played by Western star Tomas Milian) - Milian has to be seen to be believed in this one and Silva holds it down nicely. This is available uncut on various DVD editions - the most recent under the its alternate title of ALMOST HUMAN.

[img]http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/3511/executionereq8.jpg[/img]

[B]MANHUNT (LA MALA ORDINA) [/B]- Directed by Fernando Di Leo (1972).
One of my favourite films ever and certanly one of the best (yet under rated) Euro Crime films. Henry Silva is a hitman sent from America to take out a small time pimp Luca Canali (played to perfection by Mario Adorf - see pic below) who appears to have offended the leading don of the city. Best version to get is the Raro DVD which presents the films uncut, widescreen and with extra footage - a MUST BUY for any Euro Crime fan. Wicked sound track too.

[img]http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/5831/manhuntbt4.jpg[/img]

[B]THE BOSS [/B]- Directed by Fernando Di Leo (1973).
Another classic Fernando Di Leo flick. Great cast including a slimy performance by Spag Western fave Gianni Garko! (See below)
Henry Silva gets maximum screen time in this - keep an eye out for a great scene where he fires a rocket launcher through a projectors booth at a private cinema! Another top score too. Also easily available on DVD on Raro.

[img]http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5779/bosspb9.jpg[/img]

[B]WEAPONS OF DEATH[/B] - Mario Caiano (1977)
Tough and very bleak Euro crime flick. Henry Silva plays Santoro, the leader of a ruthless gang of criminals. This one is bloodier than usual and has some great car chases and robberies - plus a pretty dark ending. This is fairly hard to find at present - the UK Inter Ocean cassette is your best bet IMO.

[img]http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/1825/weaponsofdeathfz8.jpg[/img]

Other highly notable Henry Silva performances are:

[B]CRY OF A PROSTITUTE[/B] (1974) with the lovely Barbara Bouchet.

[B]FREE HAND FOR A TOUGH COP[/B] - (1976) Directed by Umberto Lenzi and starring Tomas Milian, Claudio Cassinelli and Silva as another ruthless gang leader!

[B]KILLING IN THE SUN[/B] - (1973) An obscure Silva mob flick thats worth tracking down.

[img]http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/4794/killinginthesunnq4.jpg[/img]

[B]VIRUS (aka Fukkatsu No Hi)[/B] - (1980) Directed by Kinji Fukasaku ( Battle Royale & Yakuza Graveyard) This bleak, powerful and moving disaster flick about a deadly virus that wipes out mankind is aided by a super all star cast with Henry Silva as the madcap General Garland, [B]Sonny Chiba[/B], and Bo Svenson amongst many many more!

[B]FRAME UP[/B] - (1968)
Emilio P Miraglia directed Henry Silva in this and another 60's Spy/Crime flick ASSASSINATION (67). I prefer FRAME UP out of the two but they are both
worth checking as Silva gets max screen time in both.

[img]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9451/frameupxy7.jpg[/img]

I'd also recommend these too:

[B]CRIMEBUSTERS[/B] (1976)
[B]L'INSOLENT[/B] (1973)
[B]MANHUNT [/B](NOT to be confused the Fernando Di Leo one) Directed by Umberto Lenzi (1975)

Hope this is useful to you Aka Tek!

Aka Tek

Postby Aka Tek » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:24 pm

Thanks for the tips guys.

"Hope this is useful to you Aka Tek!"
What should I answer....... thanks for the tips and the mean covers mate. He seems to have been working with pretty many other killer actors/actresses and directors. I guess I will try to locate some of those flicks when I can afford.......

Have you seen his part in Ghost Dog pollypolly?

pollypolly

Re:

Postby pollypolly » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:38 pm

[Quote][I]Originally Posted By Aka Tek[/I]
[B]I guess I will try to locate some of those flicks when I can afford.......

Have you seen his part in Ghost Dog pollypolly?[/B][/Quote]

I'll send you one from the list above in the post on Monday mate. :)

I havent seen Ghost Dog properly - this is one Silva performance I need to check! In fact I need to pick the film up full stop.

Aka Tek

Postby Aka Tek » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:50 pm

Thanks mate thats very kind of you.

His character is very cold in this movie if I remember correctly. That movie probably isnt to difficult to locate either, but you never know. I think its a pretty cool movie though. Its got a "modern" samurai, a frensh guy who dont speak english and sells icecream, mob guys etc. If I had a copy Id send you a copy mate.

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:14 pm

That's very kind - but no worries my friend, Ghost Dog pretty readily available for a few quid, it's just a question of me getting round to picking it up.

rajandra2

HENRY SILVA

Postby rajandra2 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:04 am

WELL, I'M A FAN OF ALL THE ACTORS WHO MADE MOVIES FOR THE ITALIAN CINEMA.
HERE ARE MAURIZIO MERLI WITH HENRI SILVA
IN THIS GEART ADVENTURE MOVIE
[img][URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/4697/zannabiancaallarescossa0wg9.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/img]

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:27 am

Nice one Rajandra!

By the way - there is one Henry Silva film that I am desperately after:

[B]Battle of the Godfathers[/B] (aka Zinksärge für die Goldjungen). 1973. Directed by Jurgen Roland -

it's along shot but if anyone does have this please let me know - I'd pay a very, very decent price for it....:)

rajandra2

Postby rajandra2 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:45 am

WELL,POLLY
I DON'T HAVE THAT MOVIE, I'D LIKE TO SEE IT AS WELL. I'LL POST SOME RARE POSTERS FOR HENRY SILVA WHEN I HAVE TIME.

Return to “Spaghetti Western and Black Exploitation”