The Heroes - extra 12 minutes!

Tell us the movies that you know are cut and Flashlegsrare will recover where possible.
pollypolly

The Heroes - extra 12 minutes!

Postby pollypolly » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:54 pm

After speaking to Pete Jr. earlier on today about Ti Lung's 'The Heroes' I thought I'd share some of my findings with you all as I know that this classic has a lot of fans out there.
Basically I purchased the German Widescreen VHS off of our good friend Jamal, so just the other weekend I thought I'd try and synch the English audio from the Tai Seng print with the German VHS picture. It was looking good until it suddenly fell out of synch - this is when I noticed that there was some extra footage in the German version that wasnt in the English dubbed print. After comparing the two prints I can confirm running times for both prints:

Tai Seng - English Dub: 1 hr 29 mins 47 secs
German version : 1 hr 41 mins 50 secs

The German print basically features loads of extended & additional dialogue scenes such as:

***SPOILERS***

*Shots of Ti Lung leading the prisoners on horseback
*Additional scenes of Ti Lung in the jails cells including a scene where Wang Chung gets his fists smashed to a bloody pulp
*Scenes of Chan Wei Man, Ti Lung & Shih Szu at the palace
* Longer scene of Tan Tao Liang discovering the murdered corpses near the beginning
* After Tan Tao Liang dies there are some additional shots of a grief stricken Ti Lung in the rain
* End music is a traditional Chinese song with sung lyrics instead of the stock Morricone-esque music used for the English dub.

And there are loads more additional shots here and there which make up roughly about 12 extra minutes.

What lets the German print down is that despite all of this extra footage - it is in fact slightly cut. The deaths of Chan Wei Man's 3 main guards near the end of the film are all trimmed which is a real shame.

So there we go, an interesting find I thought and considering nearly everyone I've spoken to loves this film I thought that you all had a right to know about the existence of this additional footage.

What I'd now love to know is if there is an uncut print out there with this extra footage in?

chopsocky

Postby chopsocky » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:21 pm

i swear JAMAL ha this on ebay a few weeks back?

If theres another 12mins i want to sse it cause his is the definitive non shaws Ti Lung flick.

pollypolly

Re:

Postby pollypolly » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:57 pm

[Quote][I]Originally Posted By chopsocky[/I]
[B]i swear JAMAL ha this on ebay a few weeks back?
[/B][/Quote]

;)

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:34 pm

Pete Jr. looks like you're the man for the job!:)

(...Unless another better quality extended print turns up?..)

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:57 am

I'll be getting Heroes over to Pete to work his magic on within the next week or two. Interesting about the Xenon print though.

chopsocky

Postby chopsocky » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:50 pm

Xenon prints in genral art bad, they said that shaolin vs wu tang was remastered. was it: No.

Don't beleive theses guys i garentee the print will be bad.

Return to “Cut Movies Awareness”