Notice To All Forum Members!

Latest News, Screen Shots and Anouncements

Moderator: Pete Senior

Pete Senior

Postby Pete Senior » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm

I'm at your service, whoever needs my advice. My time as a collector stems over 35 years.

samtheseed

Postby samtheseed » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi...Pete Senior.
It's been a little quiet here at FLK, and i'd like to say a warm "welcome back".

Pete Senior

Re:

Postby Pete Senior » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:20 pm

[Quote=samtheseed]Hi...Pete Senior.
It's been a little quiet here at FLK, and i'd like to say a warm "welcome back".[/Quote]

Thank you for the welcome.
Perhaps we can both perk things up here Mr smatheseed.

samtheseed

Postby samtheseed » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:40 pm

We'll perk things up for sure...I've posted what i'll be watching this evening.
Just waiting for my Pizza+Chips+Kebab delivery then it's "All Systems Go" I'll be viewing the Swordplay flix with OLD CHICKEN FIST (The Wife). LOL.

hawk4

Postby hawk4 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:49 am

Nice to meet you Pete Senior. Pete Jr. has told me a lot about you. I am hoping we could talk about martial atrs. I really like the style you invented. It is a very good style. I love the speed and power it has. I am a 5th degree Black belt in Teakwondo and a 4th degree in Pasa Ryu. I have been taking lessons since I was 4 years old. I now teach both martial arts sytles. I would love to take your classes but I live in the US. So it is not possible at this time. Pete did invite me to your next tournament.I would be honored to do so. If it is alright with you. I am female. Just wanted you to know that. Again nice to meet you.

Pete Senior

Notice To All Forum Members!

Postby Pete Senior » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:18 pm

[Quote=hawk4]Nice to meet you Pete Senior. Pete Jr. has told me a lot about you. I am hoping we could talk about martial atrs. I really like the style you invented. It is a very good style. I love the speed and power it has. I am a 5th degree Black belt in Teakwondo and a 4th degree in Pasa Ryu. I have been taking lessons since I was 4 years old. I now teach both martial arts styles. I would love to take your classes but I live in the US. So it is not possible at this time. Pete did invite me to your next tournament.I would be honored to do so. If it is alright with you. I am female. Just wanted you to know that. Again nice to meet you.[/Quote]

Thank you young lady for a warm response. I take it you are a Teakwondo master, excellent news. Taekwondo is of course the ultimate kicking technique in the US and Europe. My style of kung fu is based on real-live-fighting techniques.

Essentially, most systems today are watered down to cater them for people, who want an easy ride. The easy ride means, one can be named a black belt and have very little effect against a competent street fighter.

Black belts are now given away, similar to a consolation prize, whether the person is credible enough to wear the black belt or not. Back in the old days (and I mean the 60-tis to 80-tis) one had to earn a black belt and prove they are competent to represent their style of martial arts, they encompass as their own.

Symbolic gestures in terms of black belts being given to non-practitioners here in Dubai is common. Some individuals want to be given such an accolade without the effort of achievement. In the gym, many are awarded the black belt honor and they have no dexterity to maintain keepsake momentum.

Teachers, coaches, instructors alike have lost the plot in terms of real martial arts and its purpose. Martial arts is not a sport or pastime interest, its a bona-fide art of self-defense from the study of ancient teachings of unarmed conflict. Today its all about money, political affiliations in terms of federations and secular teachings of one particular art strand features, with another that originates from the same root system.

Division among styles and systems is a futile means to disintegrate to martial arts into the oblivion. Hence the martial arts will no longer be a true art in its content. It will merely digress into a lost sequence of tactical moves, without any technique or substantial premise for it to further exist as an art.

All martial arts are from the same roots, just as mankind has roots that have evolved into racial segments of division. These barriers of colour and race segmentation is the epitome of disillusion with acceptance from the elite few waving a flag of cultural and pigmentation imbalance in society today.

Martial arts systems are now competing against each other in terms of the "Best system". The origin of martial arts are of the same genesis, yet some will deny its true ancestry and lineage, believing their style/system is totally unique. Individual techniques from different systems can be unique, however styles/systems of martial arts are all from the same origin.

There is no such thing as the best system of martial arts, however we do have competent students that endeavor to reach a level of skill that enhances his or her system with grace and honor.

No style/system has the best techniques, nor does it have unique features never seen before. Its individuals, that practice techniques and evolve their styles/system into a practical means of unarmed conflict with vigilance and great skill. Such skills makes it all come together, combined with keen alertness and clean execution of techniques.

hawk4

Postby hawk4 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:38 am

I agree with everything you said. I have known people who got black belts who did not earn them. I do not think I am a master in Teakwondo. Because I know I have more to learn. That is life we live and learn. But I do feel I earn my ranks. It took me 23 years to do so. I worked hard to get where I am in martial arts. Just as I am sure you have worked hard too. Do I think I could take on a street fighter. It would depend on the street fighter and how skilled he is. But I think I could hold my own with him. My mother was my first instructor. She got her black belt in the 80's. She too worked hard to get it. Plus she went to school so she could teach others. She broke off with her instructor because all he seemed to care about later on was money. She would see kids come in a take a free class then they would find out how much thier next class would be and they could not afford it. So my mother asked her instructor if she could teach these kids who could not afford class. He relcutly said yes. So she and a few other black belts from different styles open a Non Profit school. We teach kids and their familys for free. We do this because we feel that everyone should learn martial arts. When my mother took classes she had to pay for them plus she had to pay when she tested for a belt. which at the time was $60.00. My mother seen that it was all about the money then. Because 2 guys who took class with her were held back because they were black. Which made my mother mad. Another reason she left. She left the USTA. Since then the USTA has desbanned. Which I am glad they did. Because at the time they were only in it for the money. My mother was required to inter tournuments and go to other schools to judge thier testing. She even have to go out of state for these things. Which cost a lot of money for her. She was never given any money back. She did tell me about a testing she was a judge at that a guy broke this girl nose in 3 places. Just so he could get his 2 degree black belt. He had a cast on his hand. My mother felt he should not be taught martial arts at all. But her instructor said he understood where she was coming from but he gave him his belt anyway. That is when my mother walk away. She beleived in honor and she saw no honor any more with that insturctor. I helped my mother teach both kinds of martial arts for years. She passed away 4 years ago. So I have took her place. I have only refused to teach one teenager. Because he said he wanted to learn to hurt people. I told him we teach self defence only. He got mad and wanted to fight with me and others in the class. I told him no and to leave. He left. We try to teach honor and respect for everyone. We teach all races. We even have a weapons class after our other class is over. We use a staff and fighting sticks and sys and even swords. We are not masters in any of these but we are getting better with them. I really like the speed and power of your style. Your kicks look like the one we do. Expet that twist kick. We have a twist kick but it is different from the one you use. Do you mind if I try it in my class sometime. I won't use it unless you tell me I can. I have a lot of respct for you and your son.
My mother also got me into Kung Fu movies. Before I was born she would go to the drive in to see Kung Fu movies. She said they were last ones to play but it was worth it. Then after I was born they started playing them on tv late on Friday night. She would record them and we would watch them the next day. I loved watching Kung Fu movies with her. I miss her so much. She was a collector of Kung Fu movies. I still buy them when I can find them. I don't live near a Chinatown like in New York or San Francisco. I did order from Sensasian but they went out of bussiness. I hope we can talk again. Thank you for talking to me.

SaritaLinda18

Postby SaritaLinda18 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:38 am

Hi, Hawk4,

If you don't know where to order movies, you can try on yesasia, buyoyo (very cheap), ethaicd, thaimegamart (very cheap too)and playasia. I found most of my shaw Brother's movies on these sites ; there is also the sites moviesuper which have some Shaws, and dddhouse (both cheap too).

Regards.

Return to “Latest News”