System vs Systems Or Styles vs Styles

Discuss specific martial art systems and other styles that you enjoy to see or practice yourself.
peringaten

Postby peringaten » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:21 pm

I'm not really seeing anything I would particularly call hung gar kyun in application there...

Silver & Gold Dragon

Postby Silver & Gold Dragon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:04 am

[Size=4]â?¯[/Size]Yes look at both styles forms/katas they look very different to this & they look almost the same here where as they strikingly different in forms/katas but is form just a exacting version of an art? Making the art the art, separating the art from others?
I just had a thought I've not thought before about the movement in modern day sparing I know the skip motion is about being putting off your opponent but is it used too much now a days? along with the faking(half moves to put your opponent off) I know probably just thinking of armatures(& myself) but it sometimes it like you see all this half movement, skipping & no actually contact. I know this post might just a random about armatures for just this moment in time(yes I am doubting my comment/thought I just had was more of a questioning/wonder? Or alternative thinking?)
I'm know to sure what I been thinking or writing in this post lol.[Size=4]â?¯[/Size]

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi. Hung gar kyun involves many many principles that are transferable whilst wearing gloves. I glove up & full contact spar once to 3 times a week, depending on the intensity, sometimes you need to real slow a bit sometimes all out. I'm not trying to be showy, but I mean serious full contact with 14 oz boxing gloves & no real rules other than understanding between partners not to totally wreck each other & learn from it with understanding to break moment you or partner call sit. I've ended up with bloodied nose, black eye, swollen ears, bruised solar plexus & ribs, bruised forearms, seeing stars from jaw shots & uppercuts, & funny enough worst of all a blackened leg I couldn't walk on (had to take half a week off work to recover from that)... only now I'm starting to get how hung works in sparring or better yet fighting in any situation. The principles are coming out & fighting gradually begins to represent form more. I'm not seeing sinking, bridging, stancing, etc. here. It doesn't proper represent hung in application. To be fair the ruleset there doesn't allow much, but still... I only say this to say hung is holistic, if they knew it proper against resistance it would show & shapes viewers would see it. I'm not saying I can fully, but it's a long hard hard road. I'm just a beginner, but can see & understand when proper better day after day. This is not good representation. Not a serious clip. Sorry, no disrespect to them & there's but it doesn't represent as my lineage shows me.

peringaten

Re:

Postby peringaten » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:57 am

[Quote=jrcma][Size=4]â?¯[/Size]Yes look at both styles forms/katas they look very different to this & they look almost the same here where as they strikingly different in forms/katas but is form just a exacting version of an art? Making the art the art, separating the art from others?
I just had a thought I've not thought before about the movement in modern day sparing I know the skip motion is about being putting off your opponent but is it used too much now a days? along with the faking(half moves to put your opponent off) I know probably just thinking of armatures(& myself) but it sometimes it like you see all this half movement, skipping & no actually contact. I know this post might just a random about armatures for just this moment in time(yes I am doubting my comment/thought I just had was more of a questioning/wonder? Or alternative thinking?)
I'm know to sure what I been thinking or writing in this post lol.[Size=4]â?¯[/Size][/Quote]

Skipping & feigning that's apprehension. It's human nature. Over/under awareness of limits of your control or the power of the person you're facing. The main thing is to get the flinch out of yourself. Flinching under pressure is just automatic, you just have to get stuck in to have the power to work anything out. That's the hard part, it takes time, the greater the intensity the quicker it gets out of you & the more effective you are. Stuff in that clip isn't very intense, that'll take time. Faking is a way of feeling out the openings. It's more about fearlessness & being able to read & react. Eventually you just got to get straight in, then all sensitivity & work is possible if manageable.

Return to “Martial Arts Systems”