Seagal The Man With The Moves!!

Discuss specific martial art systems and other styles that you enjoy to see or practice yourself.
Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:56 pm

That clip is from a great Seagal documentary called The Path Beyond Thought which is worth checking out. His movies from Above The Law to The Glimmer Man are excellent. I'm not so keen on his output after that. He was actually the only westerner to run a Aikido dojo in Japan during the 70s and he took on a lot of challengers. Sadly a lot of people aren't aware of Seagal's serious martial arts pedigree.

Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:39 pm

[Quote=Pete Jr]When Seagal first touched down on the BIG SCREENS my father was impressed by his superb talent as an Aikido expert after seeing "Nico" then Seagal went down a road of fantasy my father says in the movie "Mark For Death" when he single handily went into Kingston Jamaica and wiped out an entire gang of Jamaican Drug dealers...To most Jamaicans this is an impossible feat to accomplish in one of the most violent cities in the world for killers and gun addicts.....My father said after this he lost interest in Seagal movies......he felt his movies moved from being entertaining to more like fairy tales full of self glory and hype. lol........having said this the is seriously talented IMO!!!.....A great master of his art and a living legend.[/Quote]

Action movies can easily veer into comic book territory and by their very nature such films are pure fantasy. However, the thing I like about early Seagal is that he used real Aikido techniques.

The footage below is from Marked For Death and has the name of each technique mentioned on the left side of the screen.

[youtube]1csaRlEl5A4[/youtube]

Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:06 pm

Marked For Death was controversial upon it's release in 1990 and the end credits contain a disclaimer which states that the criminal element portrayed [b]"is estimated to be a fraction of 1% of the Jamaican population and should not detract from their country or the contributions Jamaicans have made to this country."[/b]

Return to “Martial Arts Systems”