Tips guys!

Discuss specific martial art systems and other styles that you enjoy to see or practice yourself.
Fabhui

Re:

Postby Fabhui » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:22 pm

[Quote=Kwai Chang]Carruthers doesn't appeal to me but his place isn't that far from where I went to college. Do you travel up to Glasgow a lot?.[/Quote]

I know that Tommy Carruthers doesn't appeal to a lot of people but usually with them it's a case of his training being physically too tough and demanding for them. Most also usually find themsleves way out of thier depth and not as good as they thought they were and so the drop out rate is very high.

He put on a free seminar at his school for his students in September and all that was taught over the course of 6hrs was the front hand lead and that was 6hrs of non-stop training with all the drills being done in 3 minute rounds...Not many people can hack that kind of training.

The following month he did a 6hr seminar in Nottingham for another JKD school. Besides myself there were only another 2 students of Tommy's at this seminar and we were shocked at how poor the standard was of the other JKD instructors and students that attended. When it came to doing street self defence scenarios..to put it bluntly they went white with fear and lost their bottle.

His students that have stuck with him though are of an extremely high standard when it comes to real life practical fighting, with many of them (including Sifu Carruthers himself) having worked or still working in the nightclub security field in Glasgow.

I travel up to Glasgow as often as possible to train with him but his basement school is closed to the general public and you can only be admittied via recommendation of a current student.

I am up there in the early part of the new year along with another 6 or 7 of his students from England and Germany for a weeks (40 hours) intensive training....Which will be a killer! lol

Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:13 pm

[Quote=Fabhui]
I know that Tommy Carruthers doesn't appeal to a lot of people but usually with them it's a case of his training being physically too tough and demanding for them. Most also usually find themsleves way out of thier depth and not as good as they thought they were and so the drop out rate is very high.[/Quote]

I'm not a 'keyboard warrior' and have pushed my training from an early age. At eight years old I would train until my feet had friction burns. I've trained with renowned Japanese instructors and seen people kicked in the throat and knocked unconscious during training. Therefore, I'm not phased by a 'demanding' regime. I just think Carruthers is a self-publicist.

I'm a Glaswegian myself and know about the club doors and what happens. As I posted earlier, I'm connected to that world. A pretty serious incident happened only last night.

Fabhui

Re:

Postby Fabhui » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:01 pm

[Quote=Kwai Chang] I'm not a 'keyboard warrior' and have pushed my training from an early age. At eight years old I would train until my feet had friction burns. I've trained with renowned Japanese instructors and seen people kicked in the throat and knocked unconscious during training. Therefore, I'm not phased by a 'demanding' regime. I just think Carruthers is a self-publicist.

I'm a Glaswegian myself and know about the club doors and what happens. As I posted earlier, I'm connected to that world. A pretty serious incident happened only last night.[/Quote]

I wasn't accusing you of being a 'keyboard warrior', I'm not quite sure how I gave that impression.
I have been training in martial arts for the past 25yrs since I was 5yrs old, including 4yrs living in Thailand and training fulltime at a reknowned Muay Thai Gym in Udonthani Thailand with champions [B]BUT[/B] what I have experienced doesn't come close to my training with Sifu Carruthers.

Also Tommy Carruthers is [B]not[/B] a self publicist, he is actually the complete opposite! The only thing out there of him is a handful of clips on youtube that have been posted by other people some of which he has requested to be removed. He doesn't appear in any monthly martial art magazines / publications, doesn't have instructional videos flooding the market, doesn't have instructional books, his school is not advertised in any way shape or form...all of which is by his own personal choice.
If he wanted to publicise himself then he is not exactly doing avery good job of it...lol

The only reason Tommy is getting well known is due to his quality of teaching and also down to people such as Jesse Glover, Howard Williams, Ted Wong, Leo Fong and Michael Quijano as well as many other respected teachers commenting on his commitment as a teacher and on his decency as a human being.

Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:23 pm

[Quote=Fabhui]I wasn't accusing you of being a 'keyboard warrior', I'm not quite sure how I gave that impression.[/Quote]

Please see below.

[Quote=Fabhui]
I know that Tommy Carruthers doesn't appeal to a lot of people but usually with them it's a case of his training being physically too tough and demanding for them.[/Quote]

[Quote=Fabhui]Also Tommy Carruthers is [B]not[/B] a self publicist, he is actually the complete opposite! The only thing out there of him is a handful of clips on youtube that have been posted by other people some of which he has requested to be removed. He doesn't appear in any monthly martial art magazines / publications, doesn't have instructional videos flooding the market, doesn't have instructional books, his school is not advertised in any way shape or form...all of which is by his own personal choice.

If he wanted to publicise himself then he is not exactly doing avery good job of it...lol
[/Quote]

Carruthers actually appears in this month's Combat magazine and is heavily featured on the UK DVD release of Century Hero. He also turns up at most Bruce Lee related events. For example, he was signing autographs at Seni '08. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't he sell 'online lessons' to interested parties? I can't figure that one out.

With regards club security, which company did he work for? I only ask because I mentioned it to somebody.

Fabhui

Postby Fabhui » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:01 pm

[Quote=Kwai Chang]Please see below.[/Quote]

I still stand by what I say as I know it is true. I never accused you of being a 'keyboard warrior' or that you don't train hard in your art.

[Quote=Kwai Chang]Carruthers actually appears in this month's Combat magazine and is heavily featured on the UK DVD release of Century Hero. [/Quote]

He actually didn't know he was featured in Combat magazine until one of his students who had a copy told him. If I am right it is to do with a meeting the BLF had for the anniversary of Bruce Lee's death. Tommy was asked by the Lee family to do a JKD demo at the event and to talk about the state of JKD today, he wasn't trying to publicise himself.

The footage of him that appears on the Century Hero DVD was taken at a seminar he was teaching in Germany by one of the participants. George Tan got hold of the footage and that's how it got on there as a bonus feature...Again nothing to do with Tommy trying to publicise himself.

[Quote=Kwai Chang]He also turns up at most Bruce Lee related events. For example, he was signing autographs at Seni '08.[/Quote]

He turns up at a lot of Bruce Lee events as he is often requested by Linda and Shannon Lee to give demos, talks, workshops etc on JKD as he is part of the BLF. He does it to publicise Bruce Lee's art of JKD, [B]NOT[/B] himself.

He was at the Seni '08 as he was asked by the organisers of the event to do a demo and teach a workshop on JKD alongside Tommy Gong. If people wanted an autograph and a photo with him after the event then I am sure he would have been happy to oblige them but he wasn't there handing out autogrpahs.

[Quote=Kwai Chang]Also, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't he sell 'online lessons' to interested parties? I can't figure that one out.[/Quote]

On his website he was providing online lessons in JKD for people who are unable to train with a reputable instructor in their respective areas for whatever reason. The lessons are similar to what you would find in DVDs on other arts but the online lessons were a lot more indepth. However Tommy no longer does the online school as it was found that many well known JKD instructors across the world were getting the information and passing it off as their own and not giving credit to where they got the information.
He was also concerned that people would take the lessons and then open up their own JKD schools claiming they were instructors in JKD so he decided to put a stop to the online lessons.

[Quote=Kwai Chang]With regards club security, which company did he work for? I only ask because I mentioned it to somebody.[/Quote]

He worked the doors in Glasgow many years ago for about 7 - 8 years. I'm not prepared to say who he worked for or details of his time working as a Bouncer for obvious reasons which I am sure you can appreciate as I myself can as I also previously worked as a Bouncer. Maybe someone else such as Pat Sheridan or John Conlin would provide you with the info but I doubt it.

Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:12 pm

[Quote=Fabhui]I still stand by what I say as I know it is true. I never accused you of being a 'keyboard warrior' or that you don't train hard in your art.[/Quote]

I'll accept that. Thank you for clarifying.

[Quote=Fabhui]He turns up at a lot of Bruce Lee events as he is often requested by Linda and Shannon Lee to give demos, talks, workshops etc on JKD as he is part of the BLF.[/Quote]

I post on one of the main Bruce Lee forums and keep up to date with events. The estate's handling of certain matters is misguided at best. However, this is purely opinion and not intended to be offensive.

[Quote=Fabhui]Tommy no longer does the online school[/Quote]

Home study certification is rife with dubiety. He was leaving himself wide open for criticism there. Instructional/reference DVDs are slightly different in my view.

[Quote=Fabhui] I'm not prepared to say who he worked for or details of his time working as a Bouncer[/Quote]

I just wondered which firm he was with. There is such a revolving door of people that I doubt he's still known.

Fabhui

Re:

Postby Fabhui » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:13 pm

[Quote=Kwai Chang]I'll accept that. Thank you for clarifying.[/Quote]

Not a problem and sorry for any unintended confusion on my part.

[Quote=Kwai Chang] I post on one of the main Bruce Lee forums and keep up to date with events. The estate's handling of certain matters is misguided at best. However, this is purely opinion and not intended to be offensive.[/Quote]

I agree with you 100% and as it goes so does Tommy and he is trying his best to get things changed regarding certain things

[Quote=Kwai Chang]Home study certification is rife with dubiety. He was leaving himself wide open for criticism there.[/Quote]

Tommy has not and does not certify anybody unless they have personally trained with him at his school and meet a required standard. Any certification given by him is valid only for one year after which if you do not meet the required standard then the certification is withdrawn.

As I said he was worried people would see the online lessons as a way for them to jump on the JKD bandwagon and start teaching people and also the possibilty of them using his name and so he stopped the online lessons.

[Quote=Kwai Chang]I just wondered which firm he was with. There is such a revolving door of people that I doubt he's still known.[/Quote]

I don't have his permission to give out such details regarding this. I know that if the door scene in Glasgow is anything like here in Leicester then some people have very long memories and keep grudges.

Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:29 pm

[Quote=Fabhui]I don't have his permission to give out such details regarding this. I know that if the door scene in Glasgow is anything like here in Leicester then some people have very long memories and keep grudges.
[/Quote]

No big deal. I was just curious because nobody had heard of him.

Return to “Martial Arts Systems”