Just ordered this...

Share your opinions on Martial Arts in General. Whether nameless or not.
peringaten

Just ordered this...

Postby peringaten » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:31 pm

Think it's time I treated myself to one of these: [url link=Kwan dao]http://www.wle.com/products/W060.html[/url]

Man, I'm gonna have some fun with this mofo! No real weapons experience yet, but I gotta own one of these, will learn it in due course! Everyone needs a kwan dao I'm reckoning. Best weapon ever. The 2 piece & steely look sold me also; got a 5 superfighters vibe, even if that were a spear. Kwan dao - King of weapons imo! Hope it gets through customs!!!

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:19 pm

Hi Pete, vids been removed, but I'm assuming that was Lau Kar Yung using the knives, either from a recent spotlit demo or start of Tigress?
Yes, my teacher has learnt those, & other weapons. He's much a handsman generally - kind of Lo Meng-ish in the flesh, as he's very very practically motivated, so focus has been on the empty-handed stuff for me so far, but I've got the 8-diagram pole instruction coming up soon; guess you need proper general body mechanics & power generation before you attach weapons to the mix - foundation... I just really want a kwan dao, the weapon of Lord Kwan, Chinese god of war & chivalry, shows a commitment, plus it's just plain just badass. I know my teacher has been taught some of this weapon, possibly the antiquated & unlikely need for usage aspect draws him more handsbased, so will hassle him into showing me when time's right - LKL taught his teacher, so I think the set he knows is pretty much the one Lau Kar Wing demos at the start of Shaolin Martial Arts. I need to know that stuff!

Is there much weapons stuff in your stuff Pete?

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:29 am

Yeah, life's pretty crazy, kung fu makes you feel better about it though.
So, got the kwan dao - man, what a frackin' beast; solid steel, heavy duty massive blade, brass-fittings, weighted counter-spike. It's some crazy shiiiit. Gets some proper weight behind the blows. Think I'm tooled for the upcoming zombie-apocalypse now.

Here's some pics of my ex flapping it around, we been learning together since the start:

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i127/orangminyak_2006/kwan.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i127/orangminyak_2006/kwan2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i127/orangminyak_2006/kwan3.jpg[/IMG]

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:47 pm

She's alright. Everyone looks good with a kwan dao! Knows her stuff about kung for sure. Shame she doesn't go on the forums - she's got some great shapes knowledge. Planning to be the first western non-Chinese girl to learn Lau Kar Leung's full hung kuen curriculum; not too far off getting some proper stuff down! She's better at applicating some shit than I am for sure. It's pretty admirable.

On weapons front, I think I definitely prefer hands stuff, that's where some truth is, but it's good to get some feel for objects. & Kwan dao - what an object! Damn, if only we lived in a world like the old kung movies showed... wander into a teahouse carrying your kwan, or put an axe on the table, all sorts of crazy, before a shapes freakout. I'll have to keep this one indoors... not for the pub methinks!

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:18 am

Oh wow. Well, having no idea what to do with it I avoided using til my Si Fu got back from Hong Kong, now he's back Sunday I got him to show me a few moves - it took a minute to get the hang of what was going on for sure, so only managed to get down two for sure. That's enough for some basics drilling though - fundamentals for some reps. Well, been playing with it outside for a couple of hours the last two evenings (neighbours prob think I'm mental), man, my perspective feels like it's changing outright - the weight of it forces proper form & movement, it's making the empty hands stuff make way more sense - realising it's definitely holistic! Gives a target, focal point, alignment, awareness, etc. Revelations man, revelations. Getting some of the grabs & stuff down. Best training ever. So badass.

I'm lucky my Si Fu's been hard weapons training in HK for the last month - here's one pic of his of that HK recent gives an gist of some principle - all that halberd/horse-chopping stuff...

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i127/orangminyak_2006/dao.jpg[/IMG]

Gonna watch me some Magnificent Ruffians for some tips also! Lu Feng. Cat's out of the bag. Best weapon ever! Teaches so much. Enhances empty hands stuff very strongly imo!

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:30 am

Well, I bought some Wu Dip Dao (butterfly swords) a couple of days ago after seeing this video (see 12:10 in for butterfly blades):

[youtube]ey_gaXe9XV8[/youtube]

Realised I\'ve learnt empty handed moves this guy is showing, practice CLF a lot, realised he\'s showing how the weapons work as extension of these moves (good sword explanation of this earlier in vid), gonna get my tearcher to teach me deeper wu dip dao stuff now... Have been playing them as extension of empty handed stuff, they have already focused & corrected some my structure after just a couple days imo.

Return to “General Martial Arts”