Finished me gung gee!

Share your opinions on Martial Arts in General. Whether nameless or not.
peringaten

Postby peringaten » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:51 pm

Today began tid sin kuen aka iron wire fist of the Lau's. Greatest achievment of my life getting to this. Everything I've been training for.

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Cheers Pete! Sorry for late reply, not around online much at mo, so won't be on forum much, my computer access is really limited since mine broke, so I can only grab a snatch here & there. More time for training though I guess!

Here's my top Iron Wire moments in the movies:

Fu Sheng doing the iron wire at start of Disciples of Shaolin: [youtube]Ee_BVaM85m8[/youtube]

Gordon at very start of 36th Chamber: [youtube]qPoHagM_uAM[/youtube]

Gordon at 4 mins into this clip from end of Martial Club: [youtube]HWlLAki99Gw[/youtube]

Lam Chun Fai at 1:40 into this clip from start of Butcher Wing: [youtube]2XZa-I7hVFg[/youtube]

This stuff is the truth!

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Started learning my very first proper weapons form/system today; the broadsword:

[img]http://www.wle.com/media/WGL452.jpg[/img]

Even though I've been buying weapons & training with them, only learnt a couple of moves & put stuff together with my general knowledge, but this is first form I've begun learning. Thought we might start with 8 diagram pole, but sword is good because it gives a handle on fighting with a short weapon, can transition techniques to an umbrella or short stick or whatever. The moves are similar to empty handed stuff, weapon as extension of body, stuff from Tiger crane in there as well as similar to choi lee fut stuff. The form itself comes from the Pek Kwar system, or axe fist, the style that was mixed with monkey that Chen Kuan Tai practices, my Sifu's pek kwar doesn't come from Lau Kar Leung, but his student my grandmaster got it from his pek kwar sifu who apparently is well respected but discreet in HK kung community & friends with Chen Kuan Tai's old master Chan Sau Chung... I say old master as CKT has been officially disowned by his kung fu master now - there was an official statement made by his Sifu Chan Sau Chung a month or so ago... crazy disowned after learning under him since the '60s!!. Anyhoo, need to learn more about the pek kwar side now I'm gonna start learning it.

Otherwise still learning the iron wire as passed from LKL. Now that's the good stuff!!!!

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:29 pm

Just discovered my Sifu's pek kwar which he knows much of system, several forms & weapons, & started teaching me one yesterday is from one Man Wing Kai, who is one of Chan Sau Chung's oldest students!! Means I'm now learning full hung kuen system as handed down from LKL & now pek kwar as handed down by Chan Sau Chung!!! How on earth did this land on my doorstep??!! This is some insanely hard stuff to find/get into. Madness. Better go train then, got some stuff to learn & live up to there!

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:45 am

Well, I'm almost right, chatted to my Sifu again & he explained more clearly, he has learnt pek kwar as handed down by CSC, which I will learn, but the sword is from LKL, but funny enough even though the set is common throughout hung gar, it is actually from the pek kwar system & was seemingly spread to the general hung kuen community by CSC's sifu, Gan Dak Hoi. Funny how there's all this overlap! Just watched Legendary Weapons of China finale, Lau Kar Wing is actually pulling the fundamental shapes from our "pek kwar daan dao" (sword form name) when he gets down to single broadsword; just confirms it all for me!

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:10 am

Cheers mate. At some point that might be good, cover a bunch of aspects of the training, so far I've just confined a few landmark descriptions to here.

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:17 am

Hi Frank, no I wouldn't say 99% similar for our one, there's some fundamental differences imo. It's obvious it's the same form, but slight different sequence, stance/some moves a little different, breathing as we do is not represented much by FS (slightly closer example from LKF at start of 36th), etc - I assumed becauses LKL didn't feel need to have FS show exact at start of boxing kid.

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:39 am

Well, I'm only about a third of the way through the tit sin, so haven't learnt the whole sequence yet, but I don't think we have that back step butterfly bit - I mentioned it in passing to Sifu once & got the impression he thinks LKL added that for movie effect; whether that means we don't have it at all, or we do but different I don't know until I've learnt whole sequence...

Done a few pole basics but not 8 diagram yet. Looking forward to that one! Ah, I'm looking forward to it all. & backwards; I love that advancement is in the repeated basics. Sifu is on a sparring mission at moment, we've all just been fighting it out constantly, all application against resistance more than drills & form of late. Trying to make sure we can use it under pressure! A lot of practical counter attack strategies against unpredictable attacks, slipping & entering moves, etc. I guess 8 Diagram will wait in the wings a little while.

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Sat May 12, 2012 12:33 pm

So my kung fu auntie has come to London for a couple days & her & my Si Fu decided time to start teaching me the 8 Diagram pole. Started yesterday, very clever deep stuff, my understanding of anglings & body coordination seems on the up after just a day or so!!

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:48 pm

Woo-hoo. 3 years & 2 months later, today I finished learning the Tit Sin Kuen, Iron Wire!!! Everything I've been working towards, the great treasure of the Lau family! Refining this one is gonna be a bitch; one amazingly incredible bitch. There's secrets of the universe hidden in there. This one is Lau Kar Leung's rocket fuel. Phew...

Return to “General Martial Arts”