Finished me gung gee!

Share your opinions on Martial Arts in General. Whether nameless or not.
peringaten

Finished me gung gee!

Postby peringaten » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:03 pm

Well no, I'll never finish it... kung fu doesn't work that way; I haven't remotely refined it for one... but today I finished learning the basic movements (they're not basic - my understanding of them is) of the foundation set of hung gar, 'gung gee fook fu kuen', as taught directly to my sifu Leo Au Yeung by his sifu Sin Kwok Lam, who was in turn privately taught by his sifu Lau Kar Leung. Man was I lucky to find this lineage! The understanding I've been, and will be, imparted has set me up for life! You couldn't guess this stuff! Thought I'd make a thread as this is a landmark for me... there's three main treasure sets that form the basis of my lineage's hung gar - next is Tiger/Crane then Iron Wire; to have understanding of one is immeasurable - Gonna toast the achievement tonight!

Been at it non-stop without switching off every day for half a year now from no previous martial experience whatsoever. My body has hurt in new and interesting ways I would never have imagined! It's remarkable how much stronger & confident I feel - learn kung fu people, it's never too late!

Aka Tek

Postby Aka Tek » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks for telling us perry.

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:41 am

Cheers guys. I'm now 32 Knockabout, started at 31.
I'm finding it amazing how many tiny subtleties every single movement has; just finding out a whole new refinement in relation to the whole body's mechanics working even the seemingly smallest of movements. This makes weird pains... Good stuff!

Silver & Gold Dragon

Postby Silver & Gold Dragon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:45 am

Congratulations

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:06 pm

Cheers guys. For anyone interested here's Chen Kuan Tai performing a variation for the screen.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE9GzKjQkUk[/url]

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:03 pm

Ok, started second (gung gee is first) of the Hung Kuen three treasure sets Fu Hok Seung Ying aka Tiger & Crane on Saturday.

Here's a demo of the form from Lau Kar Fei, Lau Kar Wing & my Dai Si Gung Lau Kar Leung... I'm up to about 30 secs in, but there's a little extra not shown in the demo - they're not revealing everything! It's a little paraphrased...
Gonne be busy with this for a looooong time, but all the gung gee (this won't end) & sparring/fighting/application practice is gonna hold in good stead!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OACRuVjqlMU[/url]

Love this style!

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Hells yeah. All this time later, no breaks... today I finished the Lau family tiger/crane fu hok set! Man, it's been a slog, practice everyday as much as possible, it's becoming a part of everything I do. Still practice from the gung gee everyday, fu hok system now in the repertoire. Set for life! Never miss a lesson, my si fu likes to make sure we understand, apply & drill everything before moving on - it sure ain't dancing.

Next up we have some choi lee fut, that you can see Lau Kar Leung do a partial of at the start of My Young Auntie. Then the iron wire...

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:02 pm

Cheers Pete! Site's like this and realising the knowledge of guys like your family all added to the push that made me make the leap into practicing! My shapes knowledge is on the up & up!

Gotta watch a good tiger crane based movie to relax & celebrate tonight. Now, which one... Fu Sheng will have it covered I reckon.

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Oh yeah! Heroes 2 it is, will preceed it with 3 styles as was meant to be! Cheers EC.

Cheers for the clip's Pete, your dad is very fast & precise, can see the power there too!! I'm striving for that hard and soft precision; got me some work to do.
Very interesting about the karate info, never knew about the Mas Oyama connection - that's very interesting. Time for more historical studies! The wealth of knowledge just seems to grow & grow.

So, since my last post I've been out playing with the form in it's entirety for the 1st time ever. Before even though I've just been working it & working it, extrapolating the techniques, it's never felt fully complete like a puzzle missing parts - just now having learnt the last few moves, first time I've ever played it with all the angles and overall structural design in its full design... Holy shit, this is some profound stuff! This is Wong Fei Hung's masterpiece! It's taken me nigh on 2 years of hard hard training just to begin to even have a vague conception of it. Excuse me while my mind is blown!

peringaten

Postby peringaten » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:24 am

Last post lost in forum update... as I'm using this thread for a personal timeline record/reminder, here's a note to myself: Lau sup gee Choi Lee Fut form complete 11/09/11...

Return to “General Martial Arts”