T'ai Chi

Share your opinions on Martial Arts in General. Whether nameless or not.
Princess Blade

Postby Princess Blade » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:13 pm

Sorry Jade, can't say that I do. I'm not really familiar with the art of Tai Chi as I have been a student of Kung Fu from a young age and IMO kung fu is the most effective type of Martial Arts.|:o
I love it and I always have.

Fabhui

Postby Fabhui » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:23 pm

Been a practitioner of Yang style for the past 16yrs and an instructor for around 5yrs.
If you have any questions I'll try and help you as best as I can.

Also I've been a pratctitioner of Jun fan / Jeet Kune Do for around the same length of time and also used to train in Muay Thai full time when I was living in Thailand.

Princess Blade

Postby Princess Blade » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:32 pm

Thank Fabhui.

Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:32 am

[Quote=Chi Liu San]I would have liked to be involved with such as system, had I been younger with plenty of time on my hands.[/Quote]

There aren't any age restrictions with regards learning Tai Chi. Many people practice it for the health benefits or in other cases to supplement training in another discipline. In any case, it's worth checking out.

Fabhui

Postby Fabhui » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:50 pm

There are many different facets to Tai Chi, the most common, especially here in the west is its obvious health benefits.
However when I was living in the Far East I was lucky enough to train with people who trained in the art purely to make them better and more effective fighters. They would regularly visit Muay Thai gyms and wipe the floor with the Thai Boxers there!!
Now I'm not saying any art is better then another, it's all down to the individual and how they train in there art.
The training these guys did was very reality (street fight) based and so they could make their stuff work in the real world. I consider myself very lucky to have had a many, many hours of training with them.

Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:34 pm

It's certainly true that there are variations on Tai Chi. The combat applications are real and I've seen demonstrations of this when training with a Chinese friend. The key is tapping into the opponent's centre of gravity at the point of contact. Open hand strikes are utilised rather than punches and the kicks generally don't go above waist height. Pressure points and elements of Chin-Na were evident from what I observed.

The redirection of force is also at the core of Aikido which I currently train in. Morihei Ueshiba (the founder) stated, 'To control aggression without inflicting injury is the Art of Peace'. On the same theme, Lao Tzu said 'The soft and the pliable will defeat the hard and strong.' To some these may sound like the words of pacifists. However, I know them to be true and effective in their application.

Fabhui

Postby Fabhui » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:17 pm

Hey Jade,

What kind of reality based training do you do? I find that people that do that kind of training are in a VERY small minority, most kid themselves into thinking that sparring is where it's at.

Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:28 am

[Quote=Jade Phoenix] My teacher’s system is mainly focused on techniques that work in a real fight. I’m taught to be relaxed to have self control and fight in the way that’s suits me best. The style is very flexible. He only teaches techniques that work in a reality fights. When it comes to challenging other schools we mainly use techniques that achieve a knock out in the first 3-5 seconds. |:o
I am able to use the style where ever I go and am very happy with it.

[/Quote]

What's the name of the style you train in? I'm curious about the 'challenging other schools' aspect.

Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:46 pm

Which Shaolin system did your Sifu study? The 'challenge' scenario sounds a bit clandestine. Could you tell me a bit more about it?

Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:30 pm

I just wondered whether your Sifu had studied Northern or Southern Shaolin. It would be evident from the elements incorporated in his own system. The movements in each are very unique and defined.

I get the idea with regards the 'challenge' situation. It's just that you made it sound like something from a Shaw Bros film. Are you based in the States?

Return to “General Martial Arts”