Crazy Shaolin Disciples

Movie Reviews from featuring movies from our catalog
samtheseed

Crazy Shaolin Disciples

Postby samtheseed » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Starring:Wang Yu. Gordon Liu. Lo Lieh. Chin Siu-Ho. Lo Meng. Phillip Kwok.

I've read online reviews for Crazy Shaolin Disciples (one of the last films to come out of Shaw Brothers studio), many people seem to dislike it because of it's broad comedy. I think it deserves better credit. I know that there is huge doses of dopey humour (as well as a plot that really doesn't make sense), but it does have ass kicking and lots of it. Granted, this movie is nowhere near the top of the heap of kung fu movies nor is it anywhere near bottom. So if you're looking for a good way to kill off ninety minutes, Crazy Shaolin Disciples fits the bill nicely.

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/i5skzn.jpg[/IMG]

Honestly, I didn't really get what was going on even though it had legible subtitles. There's a family who has some sort of gold medallion which for some reason will control China if it falls into the wrong hands (in this case, that's Lo Lieh's hands).
The mom is worried about her son, so she sends him to hide out in the Shaolin Temple. Of course, he doesn't want to follow the temple's rules, so hilarity ensues as he runs afoul of the monks (particularly, Gordon Liu). But, of course he manages to patch things up with him just as Lo Lieh comes looking for the medallion.

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/so1jlf.jpg[/IMG]

So the plot isn't anything special, but the acting is good, and as i said before, there is a lot of ass kicking,and most of it is done really well.
Disappointingly, the blood soaked finale is dimly lit (probably to cover up the doubling of the aging Lo Lieh), but otherwise the fights are solid. As with many other movies of the genre, the training sequences are of particular note, and help
elevate the film.
If you're willing to forgive Crazy Shaolin Disciples' shortcomings, there's a nice dose of old-school goodness to be found here.

Return to “FLK Reviews”