The Loot aka The Bloody Tattoo

Movie Reviews from featuring movies from our catalog
pollypolly

The Loot

Postby pollypolly » Fri May 12, 2006 3:23 pm

David Chiang and Norman Chu, both with their own motives, reluctantly team up to track down the mysterious "Spider" who is sending Spider Cards to his victims before they are murdered. It is later revealed that the Spider is after some hidden treasure but with all of the characters suspiciously being at the right place at the right time, a sense of unease and mistrust starts to set in until the Spiders' true identity is revealed in the final scene.

I wont dwell on the plot intricacies as much as I normally do, as part of the beauty of this film is the strong feeling of mystery and trying to figure out who the perpetrator is. The film has a quality cast with Philip Kao Fei, Lily Li and Kwon Yung Moon all getting sizeable roles too.
There is a fair amount of comedy in almost every scene (mostly courtesy of David Chiang's mildly annoying character) but it works quite well in this film and is even pretty amusing, especially in the scene where Norman Chu and David Chiang keep resuscitating a dying Gam Sai Yuk in order to get a bit more info out of him each time. I have to mention a few gags in the editing as well - like the cut from a stream of tea being poured into a cup to a stream of urine from David Chiang's incontinent sniffer dog! Playful edits like this cropped up quite a lot and definitely helped make the film a lot more enjoyable.

But, ultimately it's the fights that we care about more than anything and I have to cut straight to the point and say that PHILIP KAO FEI owns this movie in my opinion! From the first time we see him kick a few henchmens backsides, to the excellent one handed fight between him and Chiang in the middle of the film and then the explosive finale - Kao Fei commands the screen and displays a staggering amount of shapes & styles throughout. The man rarely disappoints in a starring role and yet again proves why he is favoured by so many fans around the world. Kwon Yung Moon deserves a special mention too and shows off some splendid leg work in the final fight. Lily Li and Norman Chu perform as well as always but David Chiang saves his best until last where he displays a bizarre and unorthodox Mantis & Rat (??) technique that truly confuses his opponent and proves to be reasonably effective (and fun to watch).

Good intrigue, an abundance of shapes, humour that works and a strong cast all combine to make The Loot a must see for fans. 4 out of 5

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Fri May 12, 2006 10:59 pm

By the way if anyone is interested my very good friend Bill from Greece has an EXTREMELY rare VHS of this on Ebay at the moment. He's 100% trustworthy and one of the best on the Bay!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLOODY-TATTOO-THE-LOOT-Megarare-80-KUNG-FU-DAV-CHIANG_W0QQitemZ9136079408QQcategoryZ1508QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Sat May 13, 2006 9:06 am

Those Greek videos have some absolutely crazy covers sometimes - mostly unrelated to the actual film! Very confusing for the unwary punter.

samtheseed

Postby samtheseed » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:03 pm

The Loot aka The Bloody Tattoo.

Having read the reviews on this kung fu movie i downloaded it without any reservations. the premise sounded good,it also had a pretty good cast, 5 minutes into the film i could sense that,what i'm watching is BRILLIANT.
the martial arts on display were excellently executed and choreographed.
if you have not yet seen this movie then i suggest you do so immediately... you will not be disappointed.this now goes into my top 5 martial arts movies of all time (yes it's that good).

Return to “FLK Reviews”