Adventure of Shaolin

Movie Reviews from featuring movies from our catalog
Emaxx

ADVENTURE AT SHAOLIN !!

Postby Emaxx » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:44 pm

A top class swordplay action on hand here ladies and gentle men ,with hand to hand martial arts of both quality and quantity to match . I must say it's difficult for a guy such as myself ( not a polly kuan fan) to find material with POLLY SHAN KUAN that I can really sell to others or at least encourage others to buy.
Well....!
Guesss what.....?
I have found such a material and it is right here in the form of ADVENTURE AT SHAOLIN .
The cast is as solid as you can get :
TUNG LI ( 18 jade arhats ) ;TIEN FENG ( sword of swords ) ; SZE MA LUNG ( one foot crane ) ; WANG KUAN HSUING ( shaolin kung fu master ) and of course the princess herself POLLY SHAN KUAN who needs little or no introduction . Quite an impressive ensemble of talent I must say . I will not go too deep into the story as I might ruin your viewing experience by giving details of what I'd say is a fairly convoluted but very effective plot-line...............
..........Shaolin's temple duplicity with rebels trying to preserve a collapsing dynasty..
O YAU MAN ( chivalrous inn) ; TUNG LI (snake crane secret ) and LEE JAN WA ( 18 jade arhats ) gave creditable performances .As a white haired priest--villian --name un-known , uses the ' black poison palm ' against the shaolin monks and our heroes with considerable effect. POLLY SHAN KUAN didn't carry this movie by herself as WANG KUAN HSUING and SZE MA LUNG provided good support . Take note of' the human chain bridge ' , a nice piece of stunt-work with a bit of old fashioned effects .
All in all a good viewing experience with an array of shapes in the final fight scene as all the principal players converged on the white haired villian to over-come him .
I think this flick also goes under the name FIVE ELEMENTS OF KUNG FU.......While not a huge fan of miss KUAN , I would urge anyone to get this flick as it does deserves a place on the collector's rack .

Shapes , swordplay ,some cheesy effects and quite a bit of intrigue .
worth having !

get this movie !!

emaxx(audley)

pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:33 am

This was one of the key films that got me back into martial arts films after a decades hiatus.

Nice to see Polly almost won you over in this one Emaxx! :)

The finale with the White Haired Fox (played by Ching Ching BTW) is a brilliant spectacle, with even a little old granny getting in on the fighting action...

Glad this has been given a long overdue review!

Emaxx

Postby Emaxx » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:56 am

...Thanks very much mr. polly.....
SHAN KUAN handled her blade very well in this I thought and no wang kata ( carter wong ) to run to her rescue . She held her own for sure , and showed she is tough enough to take a few hits / punch .
......I purchased my copy from FLASHLEGS and it was a pretty good pic/audio with nice sleeve.

emaxx .

pollypolly

Re:

Postby pollypolly » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:02 pm

[Quote][I]Originally Posted By emaxx[/I]
[B]...

......I purchased my copy from FLASHLEGS and it was a pretty good pic/audio with nice sleeve.

[/B][/Quote]

Definitely a great purchase - the Ground Zero DVD has a rotten cover made up of stills from 'Slice of Death' and 'Shaolin Intruders', not a picture of 'Adventure of Shaolin' in sight!

Emaxx

Postby Emaxx » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:18 pm

Very true polly...lol.....!!!
The ground-zero print has a really ' tacky' cover indeed...
Nothing about the movie is indicated on the cover ........
It's like putting a cover of a sylvester stallone movie on a denzel washington film and say " hey " , here it is ....LOL !
WELL SAID.
The FLASHLEGS sleeve is tops ; it gives you some idea of the main characters in the film , just the way it should be.

emaxx..

falkor

Adventure of Shaolin

Postby falkor » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:59 pm

Is there any evidence that this movie was made in 1978 (according to HKMDB probably by guesswork). It feels very much like early 1976...

falkor

Postby falkor » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:38 pm

Yep--I'm right--it was made in 1976!
http://app.atmovies.com.tw/movie/movie.cfm?action=filmdata&film_id=fYcmb7072198

Return to “FLK Reviews”