Last Breath - which original release?

Get Feedback from queries online at FLK
Gynther Meyer

Postby Gynther Meyer » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:13 pm

About a year ago I bought the FLK dvdr of LAST BREATH (the subtitled version, i.e. not the Jungle Heat edit!) and I was wondering which release you used for your dvdr? Was it the NTSC vhs from the States? Thanks.

Pete Jr

Postby Pete Jr » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:48 pm

[Quote=Gynther Meyer]About a year ago I bought the FLK dvdr of LAST BREATH (the subtitled version, i.e. not the Jungle Heat edit!) and I was wondering which release you used for your dvdr? Was it the NTSC vhs from the States? Thanks. [/Quote]

Nice to see around Gynther Meyer its been a long time.....No I utilised a PAL VHS version my father got from Toby Russell 16 years ago.

Gynther Meyer

Postby Gynther Meyer » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:58 pm

[Quote=Pete Jr]
Nice to see around Gynther Meyer its been a long time.....No I utilised a PAL VHS version my father got from Toby Russell 16 years ago.[/Quote]

Hi Pete,

Thanks, mate! Well, it's been a while since I've posted here but I do check in on you guys from time to time so I haven't completely abandoned you. I just don't post so much. :D

Thanks for the info on the tape. You got your tape (via your dad) from Toby Russell! What a coincidence!! The reason I'm asking about your version is because I have recently won the HK vhs on eBay (coincidentally the seller was the very same Toby Russell!!!) and I was very surprised to find that my new tape contains a different and much longer edit of the film!! (and before anybody suggests I've bought the international edit called "Jungle Heat"; No, that's not what I'm talking about).

Your FLK dvdr runs around 72 minutes. The HK vhs runs approx 91 minutes (PAL) and needless to say it has lots of stuff not in the FLK version. However, that is not to say the FLK version is simply a censored version - because there is different footage in it that isn't in the HK vhs! (one character has two different death scenes depending on which version you watch!).

I haven't been able to find ANY info on this on-line as it's a very rare film to begin with (the "Last Breath" edit anyway, the "Jungle Heat" is less rare) so that's why I'm interested in knowing where the FLK version was released. There is in particular one nasty male rape scene missing (and some romantic stuff) so I figured it may be from a territory where they'd be sensitive to that. Both versions are in Cantonese. They also have different titles cards. But the question that pops up in my head now is... where would another Cantonese version have been released outside of HK? If anybody here has the ntsc tape it would be nice if they could time it.

Chi Liu San

Postby Chi Liu San » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:06 pm

That is interesting info.

Pete Jr

Postby Pete Jr » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:11 pm

Gynther Meyer its always good have you around mate.....You are a TRUE die-hard fan IMO,,,,This is really a surprise to read what you have posted about "Jungle Heat aka Last Breath " mate...I'm shocked to here its that much longer the version you bought....WOW!!...would love to buy a copy back from you I HATE CUT MOVIES WITH a passion.....PM me if you will sell me or TRADE a copy.

I really need to make this an FLK project with the Dub and Sub to be honest...

Eagles Claw Champ

Postby Eagles Claw Champ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:16 pm

blimmy mate a longer version dis flick is proper gory with some horrid torture seems mate I remember dis one well with fang mei sheng doing some horrible torture mates.

Pete Jr

Re:

Postby Pete Jr » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:23 pm

[Quote=Eagles Claw Champ]blimmy mate a longer version dis flick is proper gory with some horrid torture seems mate I remember dis one well with fang mei sheng doing some horrible torture mates. [/Quote]

Yeah ECC...not many fans talk about this movie and yes its quite gory to say the least......Heads being cut open and acid being poured into the wound.....really gory.

I use to think this RARE Tan Tao Liang movie was the same movie....

Yee Dang Bing Chuk Chap
[imgUploaded size=900|647.076923077]YeeDangChengChukChap1981.jpg[/imgUploaded]

Gynther Meyer

Postby Gynther Meyer » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:00 pm

Thanks again for the kind words, Pete.

No worries, I'll trade you a copy. I've already made a back-up copy for myself.

There is a lot of stuff missing from FLK's 72 min. edit; a male rape, some romantic dialogue, some of the war footage, the entire rape scene of the white girl in a gave. And the film makes a lot less sense as the scene in which one of the members is captured by the Vietcong is also cut out; in other words when they go searching for him at the end we haven't even been informed that he was missing.

But like I also mentioned in the above: the FLK edit has scenes that are different to the HK vhs; most notably is the death scene of the big bald guy (I forget his name). In the HK vhs he rapes another man from his own team and eventually he's shot by the leader of the Vietcong. In the FLK edit we don't actually get to know he's a bad guy (as the rape scene is gone) and his death scene is completely different.

Print wise the vhs has a crispier (better) look and the sound is also better (but I realise this has nothing to do with the different edits, I just thought I'd point it out). The print is fullscreen whereas FLK's dvdr is letterboxed but I believe they contain the exact same picture info so all you need to do is press the lbx button on your remote and you'll get the same picture.

Pete Jr

Postby Pete Jr » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:08 pm

[Quote=Gynther Meyer]Thanks again for the kind words, Pete.

No worries, I'll trade you a copy. I've already made a back-up copy for myself.

There is a lot of stuff missing from FLK's 72 min. edit; a male rape, some romantic dialogue, some of the war footage, the entire rape scene of the white girl in a gave. And the film makes a lot less sense as the scene in which one of the members is captured by the Vietcong is also cut out; in other words when they go searching for him at the end we haven't even been informed that he was missing.

But like I also mentioned in the above: the FLK edit has scenes that are different to the HK vhs; most notably is the death scene of the big bald guy (I forget his name). In the HK vhs he rapes another man from his own team and eventually he's shot by the leader of the Vietcong. In the FLK edit we don't actually get to know he's a bad guy (as the rape scene is gone) and his death scene is completely different.

Print wise the vhs has a crispier (better) look and the sound is also better (but I realise this has nothing to do with the different edits, I just thought I'd point it out). The print is fullscreen whereas FLK's dvdr is letterboxed but I believe they contain the exact same picture info so all you need to do is press the lbx button on your remote and you'll get the same picture.

[/Quote]

Thanks a lot for that info mate.....A different print with different scenes this is worth an FLK edit job for sure....

PM sent to you Jack.

Gynther Meyer

Postby Gynther Meyer » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:31 am

I wrote to Toby Russell and asked him where the version that your dad got from him was from, and he says he seems to remember it was from a dvcd from CHINA!! I never figured they would release a Cantonese language film in China but, well, I guess they did (the print does of course have Chinese subs). But since it's a Taiwanese film it seems odd that a Mandarin dub wouldn't exist. Or maybe they just weren't offered that dub. Why knows.

Return to “FLK Feed Back”