Bruce Lee Clones

Make suggestions and comments of any kind here!
pollypolly

Postby pollypolly » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:13 pm

I'd say Bruce Liang if we are including him, otherwise I'll go with Bruce Li. Bruce Le I find very dull and lacking charisma. He is pretty good in bursts but generally I can't take him too seriously.

lauslee

Postby lauslee » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:51 am

My favorite clone always was Kim Tai Jung i just love that guy.

samtheseed

Bruce Lee Clones

Postby samtheseed » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:02 pm

They say that "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". Yet, I wonder if Lee himself, would have been flattered by all the people using everything from his name to his mannerisms to sell films. In the wake of his untimely death, numerous people have tried to fill the void he left when he died in 1973. Some had a similar look, or could do certain gestures (thumbing the nose), but none could match his skill and screen presence, leading to the fact that he was truly "One-of-a-kind". A number of people who tried to imitate him in some way or another in order to make a name for themselves and/or try to make a quick buck in the process. Greedy producers saw their chance to make it big, get rich, or both as the market for Bruce Lee Look-alikes turned into a frenzy for filmmakers and fans alike. We will look at the most prominent (and promising) of these stars and show by category, what they had to offer (if anything) to the presentation of Lee's memory on the screen and if it did anything to enhance their career

The films discussed here will mainly be their roles as Bruce Lee imitations.

Score 1 to 10 on the following
Look
Presentation
Skill
Movement
Nunchuku Use
Over Doing It
How did it help their career?
Their Downfall

Bruce Chen (Chen Wai-Man)
Look:3
Presentation:5
Skill:8
Movement:5
Nunchuku Use:2
Over Doing It:2
How did it help their career?

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/2cru536.jpg[/IMG]
Like some, he had a promising career before any connection to the other clones. Unlike some of the others, he actually knew Bruce Lee and can be seen at a press-party at the end of his film Chinese Godfather. In films like The Chinese Makc and Chinese Hercules you can see the potential he had and he would stay on course to become one of the genre's most respected actor.

His street fighting days and his penchant for fighting may ahve recalled Lee's days as a youth, but the similarities end there. He also tried to get Brandon (Lee's son) secure film work in Hong Kong during Brandon's early career. The film Spirit of Bruce Li(had nothing to do with Bruce Lee), in which Nora Miao (a frequent Lee co-star) appeared and the film Big Boss 2 wre the only films tha had any connection with Lee, himself.

His Downfall
No real downfall as the characters he played really didn't have anything to do with Lee. His name Bruce Chen never actually stuck with his fans.

Some of his best work
Spirit of Bruce Li
Big Boss 2

Total=25 Points.

Bruce Lai (Chang Yi-Tao)
Look:4
Presentation:5
Skill:7
Movement:6
Nunchuku Use:4
Over Doing It:8
How did it help his career?
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/2hs84mg.jpg[/IMG]
He definitely got noticed as an imitator, In Enter 3 Dragons. He was playing it like a pro, yet, when Dragon Lee showed up on the screen, we literally forgot about him. He'd obviously been trying to perfect his "Lee-perdona" with the mannerisms and all. Clones of Bruce Lee just gave us more "flash2 and little substane.
His Downfall
Just mannerisms and no standout performances possibly made him wise-up, as he later started appearing in a number of films that would show his true skill as a martial artist. Blooded Treasury Fight was one of his better roles (as himself).
Some of his best work
Enter 3 Dragons
Clones of Bruce Lee
Total Points=34

Bruce Le (Huang Kin-Lung)
Look:7
Presentation:8
Movement:8
Nunchuku Use:7
[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/2i6chv4.jpg[/IMG]
Tremendously. He became one of the most well known Bruce Lee imitators around. He had a similar build as Lee and he almost had Lee's mannerisms down to a science. In many places around the world he was more popular than Li.
A number of his films have become instant classics among his films-The Young Dragon, Bruce and Shaolin Kung Fu, and Treasures of Bruce Lee were some of his best. Having starred in a great number of films, he learned the market well and eventually began filming his own features. During the latter part of his career he began producing films.
His Downfall
None.
Some of his best work
Bruce and Shaolin Kung Fu
Young Bruce Lee
Fist of Fury pt2
Bruce vs Bill
The Young Dragon
Bruce and Dragon Fist
Enter the Game of Death
Treasures of Bruce Lee
Total Points=46

Bruce Lei (Dragon Lee)
Look:9
Presentation:7
Movement:7
Over Doing It:7
How did it help h

samtheseed

Postby samtheseed » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:53 pm

Bruce Li (Ho Chung-Tao)
Presentation:9
Movement:8
Nunchuku Use:8
[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/hu4k5h.jpg[/IMG]

He became known as the #1 'Bruce Lee Impersonator' on the silver screen. As time progressed, so did he, and people started looking forward to each movie that he appeared in. Though, i'm sure he appreciated his fame, inside i think it was bittersweet, because they were cheering for his portrayal of Bruce Lee and not him. He would later admit that he hated being called Bruce Li.
He's starred in so many Lee-imitation films, that when people see him, they automatically think it's a Bruce Lee Film. This hindered him after a while, especially when he wanted to do other roles. He became famous with his Lee portrayals and people around the world now know him because of his association with his Lee impersonations.
His Downfall
He was a decent actor, but never got to really show it with other roles, because of his association with Lee-like characters and impersonations.
Some of his best work
Dragons Die Hard
King of Kung Fu
Fist of Fury 2
Chinese Connection 2
Bruce Lee's Secret
Bruce & Iron Finger
Bruce Lee:The Man,The Myth
Exit the Dragon, Enter the Tiger
Total=50 Points

Bruce Liang (Liang Siu-Lung)
Look:5
How did this help his career?
[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/oi6sfd.jpg[/IMG]

It helped to push him out there when everyone else
was using 'Lee-like names to get noticed. But, his name came from Seasonal film studios. Little Superman and renamed Bruce, D-Day at Macau when it was distributed by the company for International release and he was renamed 'Bruce Liang' to push his career. Though,somewhat 'stout' in appearance, he actually had the skills to back up the name, as many didn't at that time.
When he shot The Dragon Lives Again he gained more recognition with the name. Then, he appeared alongside Bruce Li/Ho Chung-Tao in Bruce and Iron Finger, it was the first time (2) impersonators were in the same film.
His Downfall
His portrayals of Lee were more comical. Most people saw Lee as a visionary and not a comic, so it was somewhat insulting to some. Yet, when people realized that it was mainly greedy producers pushing this along, no one could hold this against him. Later in his career, he got the part 'The Fist' a television series based on the character played by Bruce in Fist Of Fury.
Some of his best work
Bruce & Iron Finger
Bruce, Hong Kong Master
Bruce, D-Day at Macau
The Dragon Lives Again
Total=41 Points

samtheseed

Bruce Lee Clones Conclusion

Postby samtheseed » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Bruce Lei (Dragon Lee)
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/zxr8up.jpg[/IMG]

Yes, it sure did. Outside of the severe overacting, he was a very good replacement, in that he actually looked like him, but with more muscles. he had Lee like movements. But when he started those Lee mannersims, we knew better, besides doing the 'thumbing of the nose', the Kiakis (Lee like screams) and trying to make people get on theit knees and beg, he gave some solid performances.
His Downfall
He could have been the best around, but somewhere along the way he started overacting and his Lee mannerisms took a turn for the worse. Shaking his hands like his head was going to explode was a bit too much and it soon began to take away from his performances.
Some of his best work
The Real Bruce Lee
Enter 3 Dragons
Clones of Bruce Lee
Total=45 Points

SaritaLinda18

Postby SaritaLinda18 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Very interesting post.

I didn't know that Chen Hui min was also a Bruce's clone !

CKCGIRL

Postby CKCGIRL » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:30 am

WOW!! You have really broken the clones apart! You are a genius!

Silver & Gold Dragon

Postby Silver & Gold Dragon » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:14 am

[Size=4]â?¯[/Size]Why do you give points for 'Over Doing It'?[Size=4]â?¯[/Size]

samtheseed

Postby samtheseed » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:27 am

Over Doing It?
This is Simply... The Actor(s) Taking Their Role(s) Over-The-Top.
They are Trying Too Hard To Be That Person. They Over-Act, They Are Plain And Simply "Over Doing It".

Silver & Gold Dragon

Postby Silver & Gold Dragon » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:07 pm

Why give points for being OTT?

Return to “FLK Suggestions”