Hello Dracula

Rare New Wave? Yes some New Wave Classics are rares too.
samuraiguy2005

Hello Dracula

Postby samuraiguy2005 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:04 pm

As obsessive as Hong Kong cinema was with the whole Jiangshi/hopping vampire theme in the eighties, Taiwan easily matched them with their own brand of ludicrously strange fantasy films.

Case in point: Hello Dracula, a series of six films (some would include 3-D Army, to raise the total to seven) released between 1985 and 1992, starring Liu Chih-Yu in the role of Ten-Ten, a little girl who is also an apprentice to the Taoist priest played by Gam Tiu.

The films are a mix between broad physical comedy, horror sequences that rely on music stolen from western horror films, occasionally brutal fight sequences involving child acrobats and martial artists, and plot twists that involve grisly death, often for one of the main characters played by a child actor.

And they're also rather obscure. I've seen one of them, which I believe is the second (it's available on cinemageddon), as well as the final film.

Anybody else have any info on these?

Monkeygift

Postby Monkeygift » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:08 am

Some of those movies were released in Korean and were added aditional footage to make it look like a real Korean production. Gangshi/hopping vampires was the trend at the time, even my wife loved that when she was a kid!

xiongya

Postby xiongya » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:53 am

There are 6 movies I know of:
Vampire Kid
Son of the Vampire aka Hello Dracula
Magical Priest
King of Children
3D Army
Magic Girl

Shadow Liu is basically a cameo in KoC (with Lin Hsiao Lou playing the teenage Ten-Ten) and isn't in 3D Army as another girl plays Ten-Ten. Gam Tiu is in all of them. There was a Japanese DVD box set of 1-5 released a few years ago.

What movie are you counting that I'm not?

Return to “Rare New Wave”