DRUNKEN TAI CHI

Rare New Wave? Yes some New Wave Classics are rares too.
Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:16 pm

I've got the R1 DVD and was going to upgrade to the Eastern Heroes DVD. However, a few reviews state that they released the movie twice. The first issue had a Cantonese track with very average subs and the second had no subs at all. Is this true? Also, did the VHS have improved subs? Thanks guys.

Kwai Chang

Postby Kwai Chang » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:33 pm

I found the VHS on Amazon.co.uk for a bargain price. I'll transfer it to DVD. I'm surprised that HKL never released the film. A Bey Logan and Donnie Yen commentary would have been great.

leungkar1

Postby leungkar1 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:39 pm

Is that the one with the extreme undercranking by the Ping team and the obese woman? On the subject of undercranking and Donnie Yen why did he speed up Iron Monkey 2 so much?

noirmubin

Postby noirmubin » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:53 am

[Quote=Kwai Chang]I found the VHS on Amazon.co.uk for a bargain price. I'll transfer it to DVD.[/Quote]

i would love to have the cantonese version with english sub...you care to sell a copy..oops...er trade....pm me :)

the Eastern Heroes version that i got has no english sub

Silver & Gold Dragon

Postby Silver & Gold Dragon » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:40 pm

this is my fave of Donnie's

J0shuaKane

Re:

Postby J0shuaKane » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:02 am

[Quote=leungkar1] Is that the one with the extreme undercranking by the Ping team and the obese woman?[/Quote]nope, thats Drunken Wu-Tang aka Taoism Drunkard.

was this the only old skool flick Donnie Yen was in?

Silver & Gold Dragon

Postby Silver & Gold Dragon » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:25 pm

it does have a fat woman Lydia Shum Tin Ha

samtheseed

Drunken Tai Chi

Postby samtheseed » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:32 pm

In this excellent debut film, Donnie Yen shows the skills that would later make him a star. He plays the well-educated son of an unpleasant, miserly salt baron who pours attention on Yen and ignores his hardworking son (Yuen Yat Chor). Yen is a constant thorn in the side for a local bully and one night, the two brothers are ambushed by the bully and his cohorts. However, in a scintillating display, the brothers conquer the bully, but inadvertently turn him into a gibbering wreck. His nobleman father decides to hire a powerful, yet mute hitman who finds one of the brothers and kills him and his father. Yen manages to avoid the killer, but is now homeless and wanders the streets in search of a new home. When Yen 'helps' a puppeteer (Yuen Cheung Yan), but ruins his puppet booth, Yen is marched back to the old man's home and told to work to pay-off the cost of the damage. After time, Yen befriends the puppeteer and his rotund wife and informing them of his traumatic past. When the killer severely beats Yen, his new family encourage him to learn Tai-Chi in order to counter the villain's hard style. With intensive Tai-Chi training complete, Yen faces the powerful assassin.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/2hgco6u.jpg[/IMG]

Yuen Woo Ping weaves more choreographed magic into the narrative and allows the entire cast to show what they can do. As is usually the case with Yuen's films, action and comedy are well blended with Donnie Yen showing a surprising aptitude for the latter. Even though Yen has gone on to make a number of films, this remains one of his best and is a reminder, after his disappointing recent efforts, of what he can do.

Return to “Rare New Wave”